Entry Level Kit Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buy once, cry once, avoid a beginner's package. look for a used shearwater, much better readability than most. although the pro plus x and cobalt 2 probably have the largest numbers on screen.

balanced regs, either deep 6/dgx or apeks atx40/aqualung core if you want to stick with the LDS. an older scubapro set like a mk5/10 and g250 is a good option even with servicing cost factored in.

What does your LDS service? I ran into this issue last year. My shop used to service dive rite but they no longer do which meant I had to take my regulator set to a different shop for an overhaul.

Have you experienced back inflate vs traditional jacket in open water? Both Mares and Aqualung offer back inflate BCD's.

Aqualung:
  1. Zuma
  2. Outlaw
  3. Rogue
  4. Dimension
Mares:
  1. Magellan
  2. Bolt
  3. Pure
How cold are the lakes you are diving? In Wisconsin, we need cold water regulators which means some of the cheaper options may be out of the question from the main brands. I know my wife and I were steered away from some entry-level sets because of the cold water environment we would be diving.

Any opinion on if a guy could go wrong buying an entry level kit for OW level diving that is either Aqua Lung or Mares?
Both are solid, reliable major brands. I do not believe you could 'go wrong' with either, as a newer diver looking at first equipment purchases.

I personally have always used Mares fins (Quattro's) for recreational diving, and they are my strong preference. But, for technical diving I use Scuba Pro Jet Fins. My point is, over time you may come to find that different brands of specific pieces of gear offer particular advantages, and your gear inventory may reflect multiple brands. I have Mares regs and Apeks (part of Aqualung) regs and both lines are fully functional. Most of my recreational diving involves Zeagle regs, while most of my technical diving involves Apeks. Again, it is a matter of finding something you like, for a specific use, irrespective of brand.

One personal experience, which may not be shared my all: I find Mares to be a bit less organized and reliable in shipping parts, than I do Aqualung. That may have improved in the last year or so, but in prior years we were more likely to get incomplete orders from Mares than Aqualung.

Any opinion on if a guy could go wrong buying an entry level kit for OW level diving that is either Aqua Lung or Mares? One upgrade that will bump it up is to move to an air integrated computer.

Thoughts?

As @James79 and others have said, take it slow until you figure out what kind of diving you want to do. Dive, work on your skills and take courses to upgrade your abilities. As @chillyinCanada pointed out, a lot of us dive BP/W and some like myself spent money on a jacket style only to turn around and buy a different setup six months later. Some of the best advice, I can give you is to find a shop where you trust the service and buy the equipment that they service. To me, unless you are doing some extreme type of diving, most top rated equipment is about the same, but a poorly serviced piece of equipment is a POS no matter the manufacturer. Be safe

Well I bit the bullet. Didn't get the entry level kit and went with Scuba Pro Kit. With the rebate Scuba Pro offered on Mask, Fins and Snorkel it wasn't terribly more for the kit I went with. Now there are no excuses to not go diving. Wet suit and speargun next.....

Well I bit the bullet. Didn't get the entry level kit and went with Scuba Pro Kit. With the rebate Scuba Pro offered on Mask, Fins and Snorkel it wasn't terribly more for the kit I went with. Now there are no excuses to not go diving. Wet suit and speargun next.....
Just telling us the brand doesn't say much. What models did you end up with? Almost all the brands have some good gear and some not as good gear...

Just telling us the brand doesn't say much. What models did you end up with? Almost all the brands have some good gear and some not as good gear...

IMNSHO, OP now has what he has and any negative input at this point will be counterproductive.

If and when OP has more dives, he may then want to discuss more.

I don't mind giving the details.....

Hydro BCD
Aladin 2 Gauge Console
Mk 11 1st Stage/C370 Second
Went with Octo instead of Air 2 because many divers if they are out of air will be coming looking for a yellow octo and are not familiar with taking my primary and me switching to Air 2.

Next...wet suit and speargun but just focusing on excellent neutral buoyancy relaxing breathing to slow down consumption of air.

Back
Top Bottom