Entry Level Kit Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lewis Hoffman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Any opinion on if a guy could go wrong buying an entry level kit for OW level diving that is either Aqua Lung or Mares? One upgrade that will bump it up is to move to an air integrated computer.

Thoughts?

Both are well recognised brands. Personally I would lean towards Aqualung. They’ve been around a very long time.
Air integrated computer? Not essential kit for entry level. A basic wrist computer like Sunnto Zoop or something similar for a third the price.
Just my opinion.

True integrated isn't required but i have prescriptions in my goggles and because my eye doctors says I am getting old it is harder to read some dive computers. The one I am getting has big enough digits that I can read it with my RX in my googles. Otherwise I would agree.

Get yourself a back inflate BCD, whichever you choose.

Where will you be diving? How many dives have you done since certification?

Both good brands. Personally I would give a slight nod toward aqualung.

As stated AI is not essential for any diver especially not new...... but I like mine.

I would just recommend renting/borrowing the same or similar to whatever you are looking to buy, and include in that trying a back inflate (whether BPW or BC). My kids and I love BPW, my wife hates back inflate and sticks to a vest type BCD. See what YOU like before you buy. When you try a back inflate, don't try to lift yourself as far out of the water as you can (that's where the "it tips you face down" claims come from, typically), but instead just get your head out of the water.
Also, there isn't really any unsafe new gear out there.... so it comes down to what you like.
Respectfully,
James

Get yourself a back inflate BCD, whichever you choose.

Where will you be diving? How many dives have you done since certification?

I dive lakes in central US and warm water destinations.

I have 40 plus dives but only six recently after I took a refresher. The others were 18 years ago. I have never owned equipment always rented but now I want to own so I can dive more to sharpen skills and maybe get some more certifications.

I’m amazed by people that rush out and drop $1-2k on equipment. Understand that’s not you, it sounds like you are being more thoughtful. As someone said above, "it’s all safe". I would add - safe assuming some reasonable level of maintenance.

So here’s my thought, talk to your dive buddies and see if they have some kit they’ve outgrown, or has just fallen out of favor due to changing focus. It doesn’t really matter what brand - You will rarely see anything outside of the normal brands. That’s the way to find a deal, and it will often times come with someone knowledgeable in how it works.

If you were over here at Beaver Lake diving with us, you could have choice of lots of great equipment to try and probably buy on the cheap.

btw, this Saturday morning at the dam if anyone interested.

I would go with the Mares gear. it is high end gear. Most of my gear is Mares and is about 20 years old and still going strong.

Back
Top Bottom