Enterprise Channel (Victoria) again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thats hilarious!

I was wandering what that pipe might be for ..... and reading the following posts confirmed it could be somthing .. squishy.

Great pics man. I really like the outfit to.

greatwhitepike:
Thats hilarious!

I was wandering what that pipe might be for ..... and reading the following posts confirmed it could be somthing .. squishy.

Great pics man. I really like the outfit to.
Yeah, it's a poo pipe. I've been to the end of the pipe around 4 times and near the end of the pipe about 20 times and so far I haven't seen anything coming out of it. In Victoria, our storm drains from the street (runoff, etc) are conected to the same pipes that sewage goes to. Normally this mix goes out 2 major outfall pipes [Clover Point, Macauly Point(too far from shore to dive at the ends)], but during heavy rains, it goes out several "overflow" outfalls and I think this one in Enterprise Channel is one of them. So far I don't have the guts to dive here after a rainstorm.

I went again today. According to the current tables, this was one of the few days per year that gave me a 3-hour or so window with minimal current. I went in right at the middle of this period (when the current in Race Passage was .2 knots). Enterprise Channel must go by a different moon because there was some of the strongest current I've felt so far here. I tried doing the holding on to kelp thing, but it was too strong even for that. The current blew me past the end of the pipe (I didn't even see it) and spit me out in a little bay near the Royal Victoria golf course. Fortunately this is a public beach access point and there is a road to walk back on and it wasn't that far. I'm starting to understand why no one else dives here. They're not stupid enough. After a couple years of trying to figure out slack for this place, I'm starting to get frustrated. You'd think with all the marine traffic though this area, the Canadian Hydrographic Service would have a Current substation correction for calculating slack here. In the shallows, a harbour seal was swimming around in the kelp fairly close, but since I had my camera set for the timer, it was hard to anticipate where the seal would be when the shutter tripped. I ended up with a bunch of headless seal pictures like this one:

I'm wondering if the current at enterprise channel is more in line with the tidal exchange than the race passage current table. Tomorrow the race passage table shows the current not bad in Baynes channel from about 10 till 1. The tide table for Victoria shows slack from 9 to 11. If you got there at 9 tomorrow you could throw some rubber duckies in and see what happens. What time where you there today?

naclydogg:
I'm wondering if the current at enterprise channel is more in line with the tidal exchange than the race passage current table. Tomorrow the race passage table shows the current not bad in Baynes channel from about 10 till 1. The tide table for Victoria shows slack from 9 to 11. If you got there at 9 tomorrow you could throw some rubber duckies in and see what happens. What time where you there today?
I was there at around 10:00. Logically, you would assume that since Enterprise Channel is between Race Passage and Baynes Channel, slack should be more or less the same. I'm sticking to the seperate moon theory.

swankenstein:
I was there at around 10:00. Logically, you would assume that since Enterprise Channel is between Race Passage and Baynes Channel, slack should be more or less the same. I'm sticking to the seperate moon theory.

Logically, ahh, that's the problem. Just looked at the tide tables for Victoria for today and the tide started falling at about 8 and fell all day long. You will have to spend a couple of days camped out on the beach watching those duckies. Maybe you can get a grant from the Hydrographic Service.

Hey what about safety glasses and PFD's, I mean have you even thought of a rescue plan ie jet boat ? Not to mention all required training, the RD union and labour shortages.

Well you asked for it:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom