Enough thermal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive 50-55° routinely and a 7mm semi-dry does the trick for 1 hour dives. I could "get by" with a 3 or 5mm but I don't like shivering during or after a dive and especially don't like thumbing a dive when i have plenty of gas still. I do know that when I use a scooter in the same water I get chilly after about 45 minutes. When fining the entire time I'm good.

Glad you like them!!

Agreed, there were many stages used. The Ozark Cave Diving Alliance used Meg's (if I remember correctly) to complete the dive and shoot video. I found the video extremely interesting. The opening of the deep shaft is about 180' depth.

Sorry for the hijack.

DW

Glad you like them!!

Agreed, there were many stages used. The Ozark Cave Diving Alliance used Meg's (if I remember correctly) to complete the dive and shoot video. I found the video extremely interesting. The opening of the deep shaft is about 180' depth.

Sorry for the hijack.

DW

Is the site still open to divers? The only hits I could find on google where that the EPA was filling it in?

Is the site still open to divers? The only hits I could find on google where that the EPA was filling it in?
The EPA took possession, and used refuse from construction of the Joplin/Webb City bypass. As I understand it, after they were done (without much progress in filling, reportedly) the property went back to owner John Mueller.

Last I spoke with him he was thinking about a water quality test, but had not dove it yet.

I miss that spot.

DW

I do think you'll want a 7mm in Bonne Terre. I've seen a fair few folks in thinner wetsuits scrub their 2nd or 3rd dives for the day from being cold. It's really an amazing place to dive. As for weighting, the guide will have everyone do a weight check before setting out for the first trail, and they have plenty of weights down there if you need to adjust.

I was really glad I was in a dry suit when I dove Bonne Terre. I would recommend your 7mm.

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I might have been able to do one dive on my 3 and thermals, but if I'm doing the first 3, I'll move up to my 7, and my thermals. I'm going to see if my LDS has a pool class coming up soon, and I'll pay the pool fee and bring a weight belt to get my buoyancy set prior to going. For reference, I normally dive in fresh water with a full 3mm, and don't wear any weight with my steel backplate and tank adapter, with 80ALs. I'm guessing somewhere in the 8 to 10 lbs range is what I'll need with the 7, but we'll see.

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I might have been able to do one dive on my 3 and thermals, but if I'm doing the first 3, I'll move up to my 7, and my thermals. I'm going to see if my LDS has a pool class coming up soon, and I'll pay the pool fee and bring a weight belt to get my buoyancy set prior to going. For reference, I normally dive in fresh water with a full 3mm, and don't wear any weight with my steel backplate and tank adapter, with 80ALs. I'm guessing somewhere in the 8 to 10 lbs range is what I'll need with the 7, but we'll see.
In full 7mm I use anywhere from 12-16 pounds depending on my dive with BP/W...if shallow I will use the 16 pounds..I am 5'9" 195 with some extra padding around the middle

In full 7mm I use anywhere from 12-16 pounds depending on my dive with BP/W...if shallow I will use the 16 pounds..I am 5'9" 195 with some extra padding around the middle
Thanks for the input. I'm 6'3", and 225. My complete bp/w setup minus the tanks weighs in at just under 10lbs, and that's normally enough to keep me down with a tank at under 800psi. I've never worn the 7mm before. I bought it when I first got into diving second hand, as the person I normally dive with has a VERY low tolerence for cold, so I thought I would need it all the time based on her experiences. It's not abnormal for us to dive a quarry, and I'll be in my 3 shorty, and she's in a 5mm, any maybe have thermals under that. I do plan on eventually getting my dry suit cert, but that'll be after my sidemounts this spring. I can always use my thermals for under that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom