Enigmatic moderated/deleted post message

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I posted a reply to a user inquiry in this thread, What do you do with your regulator when you're snorkeling?, and later received a moderation message that I don’t understand and don’t know what is required of me and what I did wrong. My reply did not violate any SB standards at all. I have read the rules for the forum to make sure that I didn’t and could not find anything to indicate that I was violating the rules. Can somebody explain to me what this is all about? I feel, very strongly, that the moderator who took my post out and sent me the message is either playing a joke or just trying to give me personally a hard time. It just doesn’t make any sense.

The text of the moderation message:

“Your post in the thread What do you do with your regulator when you're snorkeling? was deleted. Reason: This is the new divers subforum and your post was not instructive. Please reconsider your participation in this thread unless you are willing to be kind and helpful and explain in detail”

Here are screen shots of the moderator message and of my supposedly offending message:

Attachments

• photo_2021-05-08_03-13-46.jpg
    photo_2021-05-08_03-13-46.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 253
  • photo_2021-05-08_03-13-29.jpg
    photo_2021-05-08_03-13-29.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 263
Maybe they saw an offensive post and in a hurry clicked the wrong one to delete.

The "moderated" messages don't actually disappear and are actually deleted, they are simply removed from public viewing and the admins can still see them in the admin account dashboard. They could have easily seen their mistake and corrected it.

Learn to live with it.

I occasionally get posts removed, if the MOD thinks I violated one of the T&Cs that’s their role.

I’ve been a MOD on another forum. From my experience if a MOD gets personal the other MODs soon put them tight.

MODs are always right.

I posted a reply to a user inquiry in this thread, What do you do with your regulator when you're snorkeling?, and later received a moderation message that I don’t understand and don’t know what is required of me and what I did wrong. My reply did not violate any SB standards at all. I have read the rules for the forum to make sure that I didn’t and could not find anything to indicate that I was violating the rules. Can somebody explain to me what this is all about? I feel, very strongly, that the moderator who took my post out and sent me the message is either playing a joke or just trying to give me personally a hard time. It just doesn’t make any sense.

“Your post in the thread What do you do with your regulator when you're snorkeling? was deleted. Reason: This is the new divers subforum and your post was not instructive. Please reconsider your participation in this thread unless you are willing to be kind and helpful and explain in detail”

Here are screen shots of the moderator message and of my supposedly offending message:

Burhan, What you quote above is not the post that was deleted. What you quote above is the post that you wrote to replace your post that was deleted.

Here is your post that was deleted:

"With the bolt snap attached to the second stage swivel."

In fairness to you, yes, your first post was not in breach of TOS, however, for a new diver, was it helpful?

Further, in fairness to you, your post was also deleted because of a couple of posts after yours that were making fun of the new diver's question. Those posts were also deleted and yours went with them, even though yours apparently wasn't intended to make fun of the way the OP new diver had worded the question.

If you compare your first answer to your second answer, don't you agree that your second answer was hopefully, more understandable to a new diver?

New Divers don’t always have the nomenclature down pat. The OP didn't ask what to do with the second stage, the OP asked about the *regulator* not being in mouth. Does everyone know what a bolt snap is? I didn't know what one was, when I first started diving.

I also see that since the time that you answered with your rewritten post, other people have made comments about their bungied second, etc. How would a New Diver know what a bungied second is?

Were these also supposed to be humorous responses? Perhaps not, but it behooves each of us and especially those members who are instructors IRL, to carefully consider how to reply in the New Divers subforum.

The New Divers don't need to be humiliated or embarrassed or even teased, after their first time posting.

Scubaboard created the New Divers subforum to avoid that sort of thing.

My apologies to you Burhan if I have treated you unfairly.

Here are the Terms of Service (TOS) for the New Divers subforum.

"This forum has special rules. This forum is intended to be a very friendly, "flame free zone" where divers of any skill level may ask questions about basic scuba topics without fear of being accosted. Please show respect and courtesy at all times. Remember that the inquirer is looking for answers that they can understand. This is a learning zone and consequently, any off-topic or overly harsh responses will be removed. This forum is not open for threads offering goods or services."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom