Engelwood Beach Reef?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dkramer

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

Does anyone know anything about a reef just off shore of Engelwood Beach?

My folks live on Englewood Beach; I have never heard of such a thing.

The nav charts show an "Engelwood Fish Haven" .4 miles off the beach. I'm assuming it is an artificial reef since it's composition is "bridge rubble". I didn't see anything that looked like beach access, but it might be worth some recon work. The GPS coordinates are 26 54.75N, 82 21.73W. If you copy that onto google earth it'll take you right there. The only other info I have on it comes from the nav charts "3.7 fathoms depth ", that would be 22-23 feet of water.

MoteMan:
The nav charts show an "Engelwood Fish Haven" .4 miles off the beach. I'm assuming it is an artificial reef since it's composition is "bridge rubble". I didn't see anything that looked like beach access, but it might be worth some recon work. The GPS coordinates are 26 54.75N, 82 21.73W. If you copy that onto google earth it'll take you right there. The only other info I have on it comes from the nav charts "3.7 fathoms depth ", that would be 22-23 feet of water.

Oh...thats another story. That is some artifical reef Charlotte County dropped years ago. I have fished there quite a few times as it holds some OK snapper every now and then. It is also an OK place to get some bait. There is no way one could dive it from shore as it would be a huge swim. There are better places to dive in the area, but they aint from shore...unless you need some fossils.

MoteMan:
.4 of a mile would not be too far for yak diving.

As the crow flies .4 would be doable. There is some parking for the park/preserve at the south end of Manasota Key that would be closer than the public beach. It would still double the paddling time. Still, I would be surprised if it was just .4 miles off shore. It sure looks further. If I saw one yak divin' out there I would think they were nuts. Nothin' wrong with that mind you, but crazy. :)

That's what I was wondering. If it could be reached by kayak. Thanks for the info guys!:D

What ya think, Moteman, is it worth a look see?

I'm game. I'm booked up this weekend and the next, but weather permitting we could try for Sept. 15. Do you want to check out beach access, or would you rather i did?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom