Eneloop Leaking in YS-D3 Mk 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was a macro dive, and due to lack of subjects, I barely shot 30 frames over two dives.
This makes no sense in terms of heating
Were the batteries always matched or you mixed and match a potentially much older battery with others?

Were the batteries always matched or you mixed and match a potentially much older battery with others?
Each pack of four batteries have always stayed together, I've been quite meticulous about this for many years since I started using Eneloops. The White Eneloops were easier to mark to prevent any mixup, but I've been very careful never to mixup the black Eneloop Pro batteries.

Each pack of four batteries have always stayed together, I've been quite meticulous about this for many years since I started using Eneloops. The White Eneloops were easier to mark to prevent any mixup, but I've been very careful never to mixup the black Eneloop Pro batteries.
Very strange for the eneloop pro to leak with a dive of only 30 shots

I keep my batteries for around 5 years total. I have a professional eneloop charger from Panasonic that also reconditions the batteries and tells me how effective they are. I only do that once a year and then grade the batteries. After year 3 the batteries are no longer going into an underwater strobe
They only time I damaged some batteries is because I inserted the battery the wrong way into a charger that did not have detection of wrong insertion
The strobe however would not work if the contacts are eroded or the protection circuit is triggered.
I am not sure if there is a way to tell the latter, next step contact the dealer

Looks like a small water leak to me.
I still think this is the most likely cause.

I'd suggest a good cleaning and replacement of the strobe battery compartment o-rings just to be on the safe side. Time to swap out to fresh batteries as well.

I bought 4 Eneloops in 2015 and 4 more in 2019. Both sets are still working.

I bought 4 Eneloops in 2015 and 4 more in 2019. Both sets are still working.
Sure, but how much charge do they still hold? And a new set costs a lot less than a new strobe.

I use lots of rechargeable batteries around the house. My motorized blinds use 16 AA's each! I just put the older but still perfectly good Eneloops to work in less sensitive appliances.

Eneloop batteries are recommended by pretty much every Strobe manufacturer at this point precisely because they do not leak very often. That does not mean that they never leak...
Still, are you quite sure that your battery compartment did not have any water intrusion? The blurry sludge in your photo kind of looks like it got wet. My last strobe leak was in an MF-1 with a lithium battery. There were just a few drops of water, and the battery was fine.
Dave, I have had 3-4 battery compartment leaks with SnS in the last 15+ years of using them and I just washed them out with fresh water dried them and they were fine. Not so with Inon.

I have read somewhere recently that the new version of the Eneloop Pro batteries was NOT recommended to use with S&S strobes but I just can't remember where. Not sure if it were an article on Backscatter or Blue Water photo's websites or somewhere else. It was recommended to use the "white" lower capacity Eneloop batteries not the black Pro version.

I have read somewhere recently that the new version of the Eneloop Pro batteries was NOT recommended to use with S&S strobes but I just can't remember where. Not sure if it were an article on Backscatter or Blue Water photo's websites or somewhere else. It was recommended to use the "white" lower capacity Eneloop batteries not the black Pro version.
I think I maybe possibly remember recently kind of reading that Enenloop recommended that people NOT use S&S strobes because they overheat, die, and can't be fixed due to their crappy customer service. But I can't remember exactly where I maybe read this... So possibly don't pay attention to what I am saying. 😉

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom