ending dives with sharks circling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tell people don't swim away from the shark. Food swims away. Instead, face it. Sharks hate that. I've been in this scenario a few times (no feeding) and if you face the shark(s) until the boat arrives, then issue one solid jab to the nose, that should buy you enough time to make a speedy exit. It helps to have people on board with poles ready to fend the sharks off in case.

I understand diving with sharks doesn't present much of problem while you're down there with them, but it would seem to me that you're most vulnerable and likely to be attacked if you're on the surface. Would that be a correct assumption? Regardless, is there a generally accepted method for ending a dive with sharks present? I would think you'd want to get out of the water as fast as possible.

Has this actually ever happened to anybody that didn't smell or act like food?

I've got the world's finest collection of pictures of shark tails swimming away, far off in the distance.

flots.

Last edited:
Getting bumped by bullsharks was cool? You are either stupid or crazy.....and those traits are not mutually exclusive.

Well, thats not what he said. You calling a new diver crazy or stupid, show's your inability to lead as an instructor- you should know better...

All the serious suggestions in the thread are good, and the rest are entertaining. In my experience, unless you were feeding the sharks, (or the boat was), they are not likely to follow you to the surface, though it could happen. My advice is enjoy the encounter- because seeing large predators is a unique treat at most dive sites. When the objective of the dive is to locate sharks, when you do it is not fear that hits, but excitment. Just stay calm, hands and arms in close. It is extremely rare for a person in scuba gear who has not been feeding sharks to be bit by one. If you feed sharks, in my book you deserve to be bitten.
DivemasterDennis
no no no...no feeding of sharks for me. I don't know how common swimming with sharks is, but my dive instructor has a video of a shark swimming around them in the Bahamas while he was diving off the live aboard Julienne. My thinking is this. If you're underwater, then you're just another marine lifeform. If you're on the surface, then you're a wounded marine lifeform. Surfers are more likely to be attacked than divers I think (no factual data to back that up, just anectdotal) thus my concern. I had thought about trying to keep eye contact, if only to know what they're doing. I know they're most sensitive on the snout and punching them (easier said than done I'm sure) might work. And I've even seen on the discovery channel if you swim TOWARDS them then they lose interest in a hurry (gotta love shark week). It's just the actual practice of surfacing and getting on the boat without attracting a circling shark to begin with is my concern.

Another thing. Vertical or horizontal on the surface? Again, horizontal probably looks more like fish, especially with fins on.

Of course, when you are spearfishing, the rules change a little. :cool2:

Im fairly new to diving and snorkling, but ive encountered a shark on all but a handful of dives and snorkles. Never any on the "dangerous" list . All caribbean reef sharks, nurse sharks, and sand sharks.

I dont know how i would deact if a bull or tiger were to take an interest in me. Probabaly just like the others though. Just observe them for the creatures they are and respect them for what they can do

I'm surprised that nobody has said "enjoy the view and consider yourself lucky". That's what I do but I've never had one closer than 15' to me. The ones that I've seen either don't care about you or swim away. That said, I have limited experience with sharks, one lemon, one tiger, and several nurse and reef sharks but I consider it an honor to see one.

I've got well over 200 dives in FL, and have seen Bull sharks three times. So not a lot. They are always at the edge of visibility, and don't seem interested in getting closer. Two times we were spear fishing, so not good. I don't fear many sharks but Bulls definitely.

Ironically one of the sharks with a large bite radius is also on of the most timid, the Nurse shark. Check out the jaw next time you are at an Aquarium. They are common and you see them on most FL dives. In the Channel islands we were diving shallow near shore and saw a bunch of Soupfin and Lemon sharks, like maybe 25 in a concentrated area. They were very curious about our presence, but were not threatening. Good thing as it was not possible to keep an eye on all of them. Most shark encounters are enjoyable.

Did one shark dive with Ocean Frontiers in Grand Cayman. They told us that they would point to two divers to ascend together, since the sharks were being feed and were pretty much in a frenzy already, there was not 15' safety stop, and to ascend as quickly and board before the sharks could attack from behind/beneath before boarding. Made the whole experience just a tad more exciting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom