Ended the shift with an Oh-poo dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
It was around 2230 when two of us rolled to the south end of the county, at a speed that could only be described as warp, for a Tribal Officer in trouble.

We get there and no problem so we clear. A little POed at the way he called it in but they don’t need us. Now a 30 mile drive back to town.

Just as we get to the south end of town things go south. Two violent domestics and a vehicle in the lake. Guess where I go. I’m the only dive unit on and the shift Sgt. is only one minute out from the dive scene and I'm 5 out (at Klingon speed).

She gets on scene and says it’s unsure if everyone is out of the vehicle. Then she calls out, “One just surfaced” and she’s in foot pursuit. It didn’t take her long to catch the little drunkin SOB.

He’s in custody and won’t talk. So I get on scene. Unsure if there is anyone else we page the team. Time, 2357.

Prior to midnight I’m suited and ready to go. I can see the outline of the vehicle and have a K-9 officer standing with me while we wait for more of the team to check into service. This is where the policy manual sucks, I want to go, but I wrote it so I better go by it.

Two units check into service. When they were one minute out I fell in, darn the bad luck. Now that I’m already in the water I might as well make the dive.

I clear the truck, check the area and find nothing unusual. I surface to find a suited diveer looking at me. :D Man those boys are fast.

The tow is on scene so I do the hook-up. Fire foams me and I rinse off the gas and oil.

The marine Sgt. gets there and says, “You need to quit doing this”. What? “You need to slow down and give the other guys a chance”. I just laughed and said their time is coming. He was joking, I wasn’t.

All’s well that ended well. Driver is in jail for DUI and the passenger ran off but is safe.

The dive: 100’ from shore, 12’ deep and 65df. Vis was just great.

Nice way to end the shift.

This is the area on Hayden Lake. You can clearly see the boat ramp and swim area. He had to go around the lit barracade to get to the ramp. Ahhhhhh, the power of drunks.
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=10&Z=11&X=2591&Y=26444&W=1

Guess I earned my $.40 tonight. :D

Gary D.

Gary,

I'm glad no one was hurt. Drunks can sometimes come through the most life threatening situations without a scratch. It's amazing. Keep up the fight young man.

The driver ran off and the passenger is in jail on outstanding warrants.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom