End of June on the North Coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to be coming down to Northern California for the weekend of the 21st and 22nd of June -- my niece is getting married in Rohnert Park. Peter and I had planned to go on down to Monterey to dive, but yesterday, he asked me, "Is there any diving on the north coast?" And I told him there was, and that, in fact, it was something I had wanted to do for a long time, since that's where I grew up.

So I throw it out to you guys -- what are the chances of getting blown out at the end of June? My memory is that it's likely to be foggy, but not stormy. And is there anybody who might be available to go for a dive or two with us on a weekday? (The weekend is obviously booked.)

I am going to be coming down to Northern California for the weekend of the 21st and 22nd of June -- my niece is getting married in Rohnert Park. Peter and I had planned to go on down to Monterey to dive, but yesterday, he asked me, "Is there any diving on the north coast?" And I told him there was, and that, in fact, it was something I had wanted to do for a long time, since that's where I grew up.

So I throw it out to you guys -- what are the chances of getting blown out at the end of June? My memory is that it's likely to be foggy, but not stormy. And is there anybody who might be available to go for a dive or two with us on a weekday? (The weekend is obviously booked.)

There are quite a few of us from North Coast Divers (http://thenorthcoastdivers.org) that lurk on here but that is where most of us post and organize events.

Conditions are usually better in the summer but visibility tends to be less (than winter) so it can be hit or miss but there is great diving to be had on the north coast for sure.

My schedule can be very erratic but I often have weekdays off so I might be able to come dive with you.

Peter_C should have more insight than me and he can often go diving weekdays as well.

All I can offer for sure are tanks, and a State Park pass. I have two HP100's, but can borrow more for sure, two HP130's with H valves, one doubles set of HP100's, 4 HP80's, and an AL80, all filled with Nitrox which you won't get anywhere else. My Mako scoot you could borrow too. You are welcome to ship stuff to my house (On a private driveway) and I/Adeline can ship it back home for you, assuming it works out cheaper/easier than bringing it with you. We are going to be undergoing long term construction, so availability of a spare room, let alone a kitchen, is questionable or I would return the hospitality you often offer to folks. I can make suggestions for hotels if you let me know the area you are looking for. Although we usually just pick 3 star hotels and use Priceline bid now.

At this point I can't predict my schedule. If I am available I would always be willing to go diving, and boat diving in Mendocino could be in the cards. There are lots of great dive sites around Sonoma, and you won't be surprised by the vis :wink: You don't need a guide as much as just some local knowledge passed on, which we can arrange when you get closer to your date. North Coast Divers has some information on dive sites, but not much.

Conditions are variable. June is usually pretty nice, but it is just hard to tell. The fog often burns off mid morning. Wind and swells are totally unpredictable.

Had to google Rohnert Park, d'oh!

If you get down Monterey way I'd like to make your aquaintance. I have a car being worked on up in Auburn and have toyed with the notion of getting in a dive or two when I go to collect it. I'm not sure that will work, but have a brother up there too, so a WA dive is still possible.

Wayne

Thanks, Peter! I think we are going to drive down, so gear is not a problem. And of course, low viz is something we're pretty used to.

The only real issue is that, if we are going to go down to Monterey, we will want to make Lobos reservations. I suppose there just isn't any way to know what the ocean is going to be doing far enough in advance to make that decision.

Pt. Lobos is usually going to be divable, but in reality all you are going to risk is 20 bucks.

---------- Post added March 6th, 2013 at 02:55 PM ----------

And mid week diving is usually open so you can wait a while before making the reservation.

Indeed, I'd love to finally meet you guys at Lobos as well, if possible. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom