End of Diving Dream?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't comment on whether your friend's adminition was premature. Subject to that, while most everyone can, with sufficient practice, perform basic OW skills, there will still be some people won't. Moreover, being able to perform the skills does not mean one is cut out to be a diver. There are lots of people who could put on a mask, fins and tank and swim under water. But that does not make them a diver.

I've never taught diving and probably never will. However, in the mid-1970s, I had the task of trying to teach a friend celestial navigation so he could fulfill his dream of sailing to Hawaii. I came up with a set of written instructions that were nearly idiot-proof. But my friend, who was neither an idiot nor bad at math, just could not get it. I spent hours and hours with him, but to no avail.

Likewise, in college, I tutored for the Computer Science department. I, single-handedly, tought students who were functionally illiterate how to program in BASIC to the point that they all passed Computer Science 101. However, over the years there have been a handfull of otherwise intelligent, educated, well-read, enthusiastic people who simply could not grasp the even the most basic concepts of programming.

Just as my friend was not cut out to navigate on the open ocean and just as the handful of students were not cut out for careers in programming, some people just are not cut out to be divers, even if they could be trained (not necessarily taught) to dive.

BTW: My friend was a pilot and could fly just about anywhere there was a road he could follow.

What disturbs me is this friend of mine concluded that the student will not be a diver just because he had problem clearing the mask. I would say it's quite a shallow judgement. It's right that problem clearing mask led him to other problem; like everytime there's water in the mask, he refused to open his eyes and instead insisted of surfacing.

I'm glad to hear that many of you think the same, I'm sure here or anywhere, there are a lot of good divers with slow or difficult start. I do agree in some point that not everybody could enjoy diving, but I prefer they find it out themselves through trying and trying, and not from a one day observation from a stranger who might not really fit to be the one giving the judgement.

I might not be able to find the information about that student because we active in different dive operator, I just hope that she was unreasonable enough for the student to realize and seek another mentor. As the matter of fact, I didn't try to ask more because I was quite annoyed to talk that night.

I'm just wondering how many people has been put off by someone else's wrong judgement or method.
When I was a fresh OW, on my 6th dive, I dove with different gear setup (rental) and found myself overweight. This guy (who was on the way to be DM) assisted me by forcing me to be buoyant but prohibited me from using my BCD. He insisted that I should dump all the air in my BCD and I had to make do although I was over weighted. It stressed me out big deal because everytime I tried to add a sip of air in my BC, he yanked my inflator hose and dump all the air, it happened many times and he was very rough. From trying to learn I became very angry and at one time, I remember trying to push him away. Then I decided to abort the dive. He told me on the surface that
I shouldn't have any amount of air in BCD at any time inside the water.
I actually thought he was right for awhile, as the result I almost always negative and achieved my buoyancy later. (I finally add a sip of the sinful and forbidden air one day) He never admit that he was wrong, I'm glad I found out myself, but since then, I never dived with them.

It's quite sad that usually as a Newbie, we thought our mentor knows and right about everything they say.

I tend to agree with IceIce. That DM's evaluation (not cut out to be a diver) based on the failure of a single skill, was premature and un-called for. A skill can be practiced and mastered. Even a mindset can be changed and re-oriented. At one time, I was afraid of heights. I hated the fact that I had a fear I could not control, so I took up rock climbing! I even wound up teaching the basics to others, including youths who were also afraid of heights. I watched most of them conquer their fears. Will even the ones who did not be told "you'll never be a climber?" Not by me. Just because I didn't witness them getting over their fear doesn't mean they won't someday, especially if they're taught and coached by someone smarter and more skilled than I am.
In short, your friend seems to think so highly of her skills that she can pass judgement on those of others, not just at present, but far into the future. That's a dangerous mindset for an instructor.

Green_Manelishi:
Was it the bolter's dream to be a diver or was it someone else's dream that the bolter be a diver? If it was the bolter's dream then a realistic amount of time should be spent trying to determine the cause of fear, get over the fear and develop the skills. But under no circumstances should that person be trying to learn to dive if always "this close" to bolting for the surface.

With that said, diving, contrary to marketing hype, is not meant for everyone. Nor is skiing, snowboarding, shooting or about a million other sports. Some folks just don't "have it", whatever "it" is and they should find a more appropriate hobby that won't endanger themself and perhaps someone else.

That's been my experience and I've heard that from an instructor that I know and respect.

At the same time, not all divers "have it together" on every dive. That's why the rule is "any diver can cancel any dive at any time for any reason" no questions asked.

The divers that do "have it together" might not "have it together" for certain types of diving. I have no desire to be in a wreck but I enjoy being under ice. A good friend of mine loves penetrating wrecks but has no desire to be under ice.

Anyway, that's my 'pinion. I am sure others will :light: me for being so narrow minded.

G_M

Let me add (via edit) that I have assisted with students and was amazed, nay shocked and dismayed, at the complaints about exposure protection and weight of gear and hair being messed up and I can't stand having this mask on my face and I can't feel a thing with these mitts on my hand and .... and .... and ...

Yes, it's heavy and your hair is messed up and your mask is full of ... but get over it, move south and be a WWW or quit.

IMO there is no such thing as not being cut out for it, if you really want to do it.

I’d like to think there were other factors involved to make such a harsh judgment. If not it sheds a poor light on the character of the DM.
Been put off by someone? *Chuckle* Oh yes, just moments ago (and not the first time) I felt reasonably certain a highly regarded instructor would convince me I don’t deserve compressed air, if not any air at all.

Cheekymonkey:
IMO there is no such thing as not being cut out for it, if you really want to do it.

That's your opinion.

In more than 20 years experience in "Computer Programming" I've met too many that had absolutely no ability to think logically and systematically but they "really wanted to do it". Sadly they were willing to work for .... and then I had to clean up their messes.

I really wanted to excel at rock climbing but after a year or two at it I realized I was not "cut out" for it. I lack the requisite skills. I also really wanted to excel at full contact martial arts but when I took the first punch to my face I realized that I was not cut out for it. However, I do have two permanantly bent pinky fingers as reminders of those matches.

People who believe anyone can do anything as long as they "really want it" have bought a lie. If you "really want it" and you have what it takes you will accomplish it regardless of the obstacles, challenges or setbacks. If you don't have what it takes all the wanting in the world is irrelevant.

When I was in the 9th grade I had an algebra teacher tell me that I had no aptitude for math ... I went on to get a college degree in physics.

When I was in the 11th grade I had a high school guidance counsellor tell me I was not cut out for college, that I should consider trade school ... see above.

As GM so aptly noted, will counts for more than aptitude in a lot of cases.

Regarding the DM's judgment, DM's are not trained to make that assessment. Where was the class instructor while that conversation was taking place?

I have had students with the exact same symptoms described above ... most will work past it with a bit of extra practice. In one case, I had some reservations because the guy kept bolting to the surface, but we eventually worked through it and he did well. I don't think he'll ever be anything more than a vacation diver ... but that's all he really wanted to be anyway.

Prior to diving, Cheng was not a water person ... a less patient instructor might not have passed her. But our instructor worked with her until she could complete the class exercises satisfactorily. Today she's a fish ... with more than 500 dives under her weightbelt.

I have only ever had one student I felt was not cut out to be a scuba diver ... she was absolutely terrified of the water. She was doing it because her husband was a diver, and she wanted to please him. Still, I allowed her to make the decision on her own ... and she decided that diving was something she would never enjoy doing.

If someone is truly not cut out to be a diver, they will know long before the instructor should be willing to give up on them. The trick is to encourage them to be honest with themselves ... and you ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

"If they have not learned, perhaps you have not taught." - Walt Hendricks Sr., DSO - University of Puerto Rico and NAUI National Training Director.

Thalassamania:
"If they have not learned, perhaps you have not taught." - Walt Hendricks Sr., DSO - University of Puerto Rico and NAUI National Training Director.

That might be true if it was the teacher's first attempt. But when the teacher has experience it might be the student is unwilling or unable. Furthermore, if the teacher has "experience" but his/her students are "always stupid" then perhaps the teacher is not cut out for teaching?

I consider myself to be, and have been told that I am, of above average intelligence and my grades seem to reflect that but there are subjects that I just don't "get". I can do the work but damned if I can explain it. An example of that is accounting.

I add this to all that's been said..

There is no such thing as a poor student, only a poor teacher.

Dreams are dreams because they are made to be realised.

Oh my soul, do not aspire to immortal life, but exhaust the limits of the possible.

I go both ways, pilot and diver:D

Back
Top Bottom