Empire Mica Report and Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jviehe

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
empiremica.jpg

micamap.jpg

Click here for video (15mins)

Wow, what a long boat ride. Saturday I woke up at 4am to be on the boat in Panama City at 7am, at which point we started on the 4 hour trek to the Empire Mica, 30 miles off Cape San Blas, FL, and 60 miles from Panama City by boat. We ran into some bad weather on the way, which didnt make it any quicker. Once on site though, we were all excited to be diving this famous wreck. For those unfamiliar, the Empire Mica was a British Tanker torpedoed in WW2. We were pretty uncertain of how it looked today, as over the years it has been quickly deteriorating. Joe, our faithful divemaster on the Fintastic (Dive Locker's boat) would be the first to find out. After anchoring us in, he reported no intact structure, a moderate current and great visibility. Heres a generic drawing:

micadraw.jpg

As we still werent sure where on the ship we were, we all excitedly geared up and headed in. Heading down to the 103ft bottom, we transited a thermocline from 86f on the surface to 71f on the bottom, through packs of 40 barracuda, some 6ft long! Visibility on the bottom was 50ft or better, making for a nice dive, and we found out we were anchored nearby 3 massive boilers. We headed north past the boilers, around and then back south, where the current picked up considerably and we found what we assumed was the stern of the wreck. There is definetly nothing left but wreckage, almost no freestanding structure, or anything left to penetrate. We explored for 25mins then headed up, ever followed by the massive barracuda.

mica1.bmp

Dive 2 came quickly and we headed back in to attempt to find the spare prop, which had been reportedly lashed to the deck back when there was one. We swam farther north of the boilers to find the last freestanding wall and some resident jewfish. The wall rises 30 ft off the bottom, but stands alone, and apparently this is where the prop is, although I couldnt find it. Other did. We explored the wreckage further north, and then made our way back to the boilers where we did some fish observation before heading back up. Unforunately a 4 hour boat ride was in our near future, and most of us got a nap in on the way back. This was definetly a unique and rare dive, which is worth doing.

mica2.bmp

That seems like a very long boat ride. It is a fair bit closer if you leave out of Indian pass. Cuda are definitely thick there. I plan on diving the Mica next week.

Well, if someone closer was regulary running easy trips like this, I would happily sign up.

In Pt st Joe, Killfish charters runs out to the mica on a regular basis. He leaves out of Indian Pass right off 30A. he runs a smaller 6 pack out there for 3 tank dives. You can spear fish or just sight see. His web site is out of date. But the phone # is good. He definitely runs out to the Mica.

I posted a week ago to see if anyone wants to go. We could use a couple to help fill the boat. We will be spearing. We may do the first drop on the Mica the others closer inshore.

St. Joe Bay - Seahorse Water Safaris - Dive Trips, Boat Rentals, Sunset cruises, Jet Skis Cape San Blas, St. Joe Bay, Mexico Beach
http://www.killfishcharters.com/

Ive never gotten the impression hell go out with 1 or 2 divers though, and the website is years out of date. Guess Ill have to figure out how to use the phone.

I will be in Cape San Blas at the end of July. What exposure suit did you wear to dive the Empire Mica? It'll be my first dive in the ocean. I typically dive the cold quarries in the midwest where I wear my 7mil.

I called Daly's Dock and Dive to reserve a spot that week.

I will be in Cape San Blas at the end of July. What exposure suit did you wear to dive the Empire Mica? It'll be my first dive in the ocean. I typically dive the cold quarries in the midwest where I wear my 7mil.

I called Daly's Dock and Dive to reserve a spot that week.

I used a shorty 3mm, but water was colder than I thought. I would say a full 5/4 would have been fine. Whats the details on Dalys trip. If they have spots, I might be interested in going again.

great report jviehe.

watching the video now....

I wish they hadn't dynamited the ship for the prop... if so, she might still be standing today.

Last year I dove it in a full 1 mill. That was more for exposure than thermal protection. I will be bringing a 3 mil shorty with me. A 7 mill will likely be too much.

I tried to go out with Daly's last year. They were only going out to the tug then. I don't think they were running out to the Mica at all.

If this is your first ocean dive, you might want to try something shallower. While not terribly difficult, the Mica is not a trivial dive. The currents can be rough and visibility low at times.

Mike, I would have loved to see the Mica when she was in better shape.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom