Empire Knight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been trying to make arrangements to dive the Empire Knight for some time. The problem is that the wreck lies on a steep slope that forms a pinnacle ranging from in excess of 100 fsw to approx. 40 fsw. As a result, you get some fairly aggresive tidal currents. You must dive at slack tide.

Other than that, it looks good.

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...
I've been trying to make arrangements to dive the Empire Knight for some time.

Yea... I think when I was talking to Captain Rob's wife setting up the Isle of Shoals trip, you were on the phone with Rob [I could hear his side of the conversation...]

I am definately in if you have room and it gets set up!

There is
another picture on the Klein site that shows some details. I'm trying to understand the deal with the depth... as it is saying 126.3 meters... I know the bow is deeper [over the ledge] but I don't even think the bow is that deep.

You gotta let me know when THAT Trips happens!!!
Eric

So what's the deal with this wreck, I heard most of her is missing and she was carrying "valuable cargo", is that image of a 'new' find?

Cool wreck either way, I've heard that whole area (Boon Island) is strewn with wrecks.

the bow is 90ft max.

The stern is at 260'. The entire area surrounding the stern is a permanent safety zone... ship was carrying a cargo of mercury:

TITLE 33--NAVIGATION AND NAVIGABLE WATERS

CHAPTER I--COAST GUARD, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION (CONTINUED)

PART 165--REGULATED NAVIGATION AREAS AND LIMITED ACCESS AREAS--Table of Contents

Subpart F--Specific Regulated Navigation Areas and Limited Access Areas

Sec. 165.141 Safety Zone: Sunken vessel EMPIRE KNIGHT, Boon Island, ME.

(a) Location. The following area is a safety zone: All waters of the
Atlantic Ocean within a 1,000 yard radius of the stern section of the
sunken vessel EMPIRE KNIGHT, in approximate position 43 deg.06' 19' N,
70 deg.27' 09' W, (NAD 1983) and extending from the water's surface to
the seabed floor.
(b) Effective date. This section is effective on August 23, 1996,
twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week.
(c) Regulations. (1) The general regulations contained in 33 CFR
165.23 apply.
(2) All vessels and persons are prohibited from anchoring, diving,
dredging, dumping, fishing, trawling, laying cable, or conducting
salvage operations in this zone except as authorized by the Coast Guard
Captain of the Port, Portland, Maine. Innocent transit through the area
within the safety zone is not affected by this regulation and does not
require the authorization of the Captain of the Port.

[[Page 605]]

(3) All persons and vessels shall comply with the instructions of
the COTP or the designated on scene patrol personnel. U.S. Coast Guard
patrol personnel include commissioned, warrant, and petty officers of
the Coast Guard. Upon being hailed by a U.S. Coast Guard vessel via
siren, radio, flashing light, or other means, the operator of a vessel
shall proceed as directed.
[CGD 01-95-141, 61 FR 60032, Nov. 26, 1996]

another article from the State of NH referencing mercury pollution:

In February, 1944 the M/V Empire Knight, a 428 foot British freighter ran aground on
Boon Island Ledge, Maine and later broke into two sections. The stern section which
included the ship’s cargo holds sank in approximately 260 feet of water, one and one half
miles from Boon Island Ledge. In August, 1990, the Coast Guard became aware of the
existence of a “proposed” plan of stowage dating from 1944 which indicated that 221 flasks
containing elemental mercury may have been present on the vessel. Later investigation by
divers confirmed that all 221 manifested flasks were located in cargo hold 5. All the flasks
were recovered but due to their deteriorated condition they were nearly empty.
Approximately 1,230 pounds of mercury and nearly 2,200 pounds of mercury-contaminated
debris were recovered. An estimated 16,000 pounds of mercury remains unaccounted for and
is believed to be spread throughout cargo hold 5. The Coast Guard judged it to be of greater
risk to attempt removal since further dispersal of the mercury was very likely. Sampling
analysis showed that concentrations of mercury were elevated inside the cargo hold but
quickly dropped off to negligible levels in the sediment outside.
The Coast Guard convened a Regional Response Team who unanimously recommended
in August, 1995 that the Coast Guard establish an environmental exclusion zone around the
wreck. The zone would be 1,000 yards on a side, inside of which no dredging, diving,
salvage, anchoring, fishing or other activity that could interfere with the wreck be conducted.
The zone would not limit marine navigation as vessels would still be allowed to transit the
area. The zone became effective in 1996. The National Oceanic Atmospheric
Administration’s Hazardous Materials Response and Assessment Division concluded in 1994
that ecological and human health risks from further release of mercury are not of an imminent
nature. At present the Regional Response Team is working on the long term monitoring plan
for the exclusion zone site.

Spectre once bubbled...

I'm trying to understand the deal with the depth... as it is saying 126.3 meters... I know the bow is deeper [over the ledge] but I don't even think the bow is that deep.

Both those sidescan pics are of the stern section (260ft.)

The bow is the section northeastwrecks is talking about diving.

Capt. Rob's site is wrong.

both pics are labeled "stern" ... plus you can see the rudder and prop.

Back
Top Bottom