Emperor Explorer, yes or no?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MissDoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Finally managed to get time off and hoping to go on a liveaboard in the Maldives end of January. Unfortunately, at this late stage, choice is almost non existent. Reviews on Tripadvisor about the Emperor Explorer are mixed to put it mildly, but I’d rather get your opinions on here please. Is it an “avoid” kind of boat? Diving safety, boat maintenance, cabins, food?

I was on it in August 2022. I don't think it's an "avoid" boat but the pictures make it look a lot nicer than it is. There were also really silly little things that weren't taken care of like my nightstand wasn't attached to the floor so it would slide all over the cabin when the boat rocked. Diving safety and food were fine. The dhoni's motor broke down so we missed 1-2 dives.

If/when I go back to the Maldives I'll choose a different boat but there's nothing major wrong with Emperor Explorer.

I was on it in August 2022. I don't think it's an "avoid" boat but the pictures make it look a lot nicer than it is. There were also really silly little things that weren't taken care of like my nightstand wasn't attached to the floor so it would slide all over the cabin when the boat rocked. Diving safety and food were fine. The dhoni's motor broke down so we missed 1-2 dives.

If/when I go back to the Maldives I'll choose a different boat but there's nothing major wrong with Emperor Explorer.
Thank you so much for that. Kind of explains the Tripadvisor reviews….

We have just got off the Voyager, a boat which is older than the Explorer. We did the Serenity last year, but really enjoyed both trips. We are big fans of Emperor LOBs, have done several trips with them in both Egypt and the Maldives.

Reading between the lines, some of the complaints seem to be from divers with very unrealistic expectations. The boats are oldish, but loved and are priced accordingly. Emperors strengths are the excellence of the staff onboard, especially the guides, and the really nice freshly prepared and healthy food.

You would be very foolish, IMVHO, to not go ahead with this trip.

We have just got off the Voyager, a boat which is older than the Explorer. We did the Serenity last year, but really enjoyed both trips. We are big fans of Emperor LOBs, have done several trips with them in both Egypt and the Maldives.

Reading between the lines, some of the complaints seem to be from divers with very unrealistic expectations. The boats are oldish, but loved and are priced accordingly. Emperors strengths are the excellence of the staff onboard, especially the guides, and the really nice freshly prepared and healthy food.

You would be very foolish, IMVHO, to not go ahead with this trip.
Now you got me thinking! :))

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom