Trip Report Emperor Explorer Live

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Major coral die off in the Red Sea?

I was there in 2021. Coral in spots such as Shark and Yolanda, Shag Rock, Brothers, etc was just fantastic. Much better than Bonaire west side (2022) and the GBR (2019).
Hey David! I am asking about the Maldives. Thanks!

Hey David! I am asking about the Maldives. Thanks!

There has been a few bleaching episode where coral dies off in the Maldives. The 'big' one was in 1999, a big El Nino that effected reefs globally but mostly severe in the central Indian Ocean. Then there has been smaller ones a couple of times, one of them in 2015/2016. A lot of coral in the shallows are dead, especially house reefs on resort island (many of who pump sand to keep the beaches which is very bad for corals in the shallows). There are still a lot of healthy coral though when you get below 5-10 meters and on reefs that a swept with incoming tide from the channels facing open deep sea. Fish life not really affected.

Also, regarding the remarks about current diving, did the boat arrange for these to be drift dives, or were you expected to fin against the current?
Most dives are drift dives because of the current. You're picked up by the dhoni at the end of the dive. That said, you do need to swim against the current occasionally to get the start or end point of the dive. It can be challenging diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom