Emergency pressure treatment when bent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would go back down a stop or 2 and extend the schedule.(assuming it was just minor pain) If you have significant symptoms while still in the water its probably time to get the wetnotes out and write your will !

What you a really talking about here I presume is the omitted deco schedule, which has its own rules. It is not necessarily as simple as originally taught by some dive agencies many years ago. Basically what is needed is for you need to decide was the omitted decompression greater than 20 feet or shallower?, were deco stops required? ,how long for ie greater than 5 minutes or less than?, or were there stops greater than 30 minutes? and are you eligible for SUR-D?........ etc etc.

Honestly with just minor pain it would be of far less risk to just remain on the surface and breathe 100% O2 by demand (FIO2 of around 96%+). It works and works very well. So much so patients we have seen at our unit that have had more than a mild case of DCS (some with CNS involvement) have only needed 1 treatment instead of the normal of a min of 2 and cases more than 2.

O2 its a drug and its great.

Last edited:
So as you can see it is not as simple as saying this person has a hit get them back in the water. It is a medical management problem and this needs to be the first consideration....Is it medically viable to IWR this person........

Exactly! So again I'll ask:

What is REASONABLE for a dive boat operating in a remote location to have on-hand regarding

1. Equipment for DCS treatment (keep maintenance in-mind)?

2. Number of Staff on-board?

3. Staff training requirements?

4. Insurance protection (liability for the scope of treatment you are suggesting)?

Work backwards. You can list anything you want for equipment, state that a hyperbaric physician has to be on-board, but it's not going to work because it's unreasonable.

In light of the OPs question. Is IWR reasonable to perform or not? If not, what are your suggestions?

I vote for transport on O2, hydrate and follow industry protocols!

Wayan said:
"So as you can see it is not as simple as saying this person has a hit get them back in the water. It is a medical management problem and this needs to be the first consideration....Is it medically viable to IWR this person........"

I totally agree. There are many circumstances where IWR is not wise nor justified, even though the victim badly needs recompression.

However, I have been very surprised in how many cases IWR actually has been effective in and I think that with proper knowledge, training, equipment and further studies - it can be even more useful in the future than it currently is. Point being, it currently is not very useful because of the lack of the foregoing by all parties including in the medical community.

If the medical community can come around to an agreement that IWR is useful and then develop some protocols to use when advising DMs or operators in distress over the phone in appropriate situations, it would enhance diving safety. Just saying not to use it because of the risks will not improve diving safety. We need to find out how to use this tool effectively. I'm sure some cavemen once said fire is too dangerous to use.

To progress, we need to examine and learn. We need more studies done and finally have the medical community come around to this and develop safe, standard treatment protocols to use when the situation arises and when appropriate.

Then again, what do I know? I'm not medically trained and I could be all wrong. And that's why I started this discussion to begin with.

For instance, here's some food for discussion(Ran Arieli, Israel Naval Medical Institute, Haifa, Israel) in 2007:

"It has been shown that the solubility of a gas in water equilibrated with a mixture of gases is not, as postulated by Henry's law, a linear function of the gas pressure (3, 4). This phenomenon was explained by the effect of one dissolved gas on stabilization or destabilization of the water structure, which in turn affects the saturation solubility of another gas (1). The theory suggests that reduced stability will decrease the saturation solubility. Maharajh and Walkley (3) showed that in water equilibrated with a mixture of 50% oxygen and 50% nitrogen, the saturation solubility of oxygen decreased to 73% of the value expected according to Henry's law, whereas that of nitrogen decreased to 84% of the predicted level. When the other gas was helium, the saturation solubility of oxygen declined more, to 66% of the predicted level. On the other hand, when a mixture of H2 and N2 was used at high pressure, there was a mutual increase in solubility (3, 4). The main effect of one gas on the solubility of the other occurs when the concentrations of both gases are equal; the effect is diminished when one gas predominates.

The total amount of dissolved inert gas in mixed-gas diving should, therefore, be less than that expected according to Henry's law, thus lowering the risk of decompression sickness. Air diving decompression tables have been extended to nitrox by calculating the equivalent air depth and to other gas mixtures used in diving by calculating the equivalent mixture depth. However, these new tables are unnecessarily conservative, because there is less dissolved gas in the tissues when breathing gas mixtures in which no one gas predominates, compared with a binary mixture consisting of a low level of oxygen and a high concentration of inert gas. In some hyperbaric oxygen treatments, the oxygen is transported in a dissolved phase, such that in both the arterial and venous blood the hemoglobin is fully saturated with oxygen. Less dissolved oxygen than expected will be transported when a balanced gas mixture (such as 50% He + 50% O2) is breathed. The effect of one gas on the solubility of another appears not to have been taken into account in compression-decompression calculations."

Can IWR treatment benefit by using EAN 50 for this reason? Or Heliox 50/50? Maybe these gas mixtures are superior to pure 02. Maybe not. We just don't know.

The effects of reduced gas saturation solubility using a combo of gases, as expressed by the Israel Naval Medical Institute, could be examined for efficacy in IWR. I think it is important to note, that gases react differently in the body if the compression is in water or in a chamber. Is the Israeli Naval Medical Institute saying that these effects of reduced saturation solubility only applies for in water compression? That's how I am reading it and if true could lift the argument for IWR using these gases.

The solubility changes that they are discussing are, I believe, a second-order phenomena and have no significant implications for either non-compression first aid or IWR.

Direct answer to OP's question is 100% O2 and asprin.

Direct answer to OP's question is 100% O2 and asprin.

100% O2 (demand)...yes

Aspirin is not recommended.

Thins the blood and can allow N2 to come out of solution to fast and may cause problems.

Also you do not want to mask any of the S+S

Isn't it...

1: O2

2: Hydration

3: Relax to avoid rapid N2 release

4: Call DAN for further advice

Is there a sure way to distinguish the symptoms caused by DCS and those caused by Sea Water Aspiration? It seems both are similar, perhaps related and overlapping?

There is one case on this board where DCS seems to have been triggered by Sea Water Aspiration - at least to me. The dive was conservative and still the diver got massively bent. Perhaps Sea Water Aspiration reduces the rate that nitrogen in solution can pass through the lungs to be exhaled? If this is true, perhaps it IWR would be beneficial if suffering from Sea Water Aspiration Syndrome.

The main advantage I see of IWR is always speed. If one takes 2-3 hours to get to a chamber, already the symptoms will be far far worse than when only 20 minutes into the situation. In the case I mentioned, the onset of symptoms was within 10 minutes. But the opposite is also true, could symptoms due to Sea Water Aspiration be dangerous to treat with IWR? That is, if one is going to pass out or have convulsions, will that happen regardless of recompression or not?

Is there a sure way to distinguish the symptoms caused by DCS and those caused by Sea Water Aspiration? It seems both are similar, perhaps related and overlapping?

SWAS: Additional S+S can be a fever and a bad cough- normally you do not get a fever with DCS. If SWAS is suspected it is important that the person be monitored preferably in a hospital where 24 hour care can be provided.
Pulmonary oedema can occur hours later as ARDS (Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome) and you can literally drown in your sleep. Once again treaed by O2 but important to know what the SATS are (O2 concentration)

People with SWAS tend to say they feel like they have a very bad flu like symptoms (and can be confused with DCI).

Which is why it is important for every one to be appropriately evaluated.

Certainly would not to have this person do IWR, which is why it really needs to be a medical decision.
(Note these decisions can be recommended on the phone once a decent history of the patient is relayed to the DAN or suitably qualified diving Dr.)

Back
Top Bottom