Emergency O2 When Diving On Your Own

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive-aholic:6240823:
If you take O2 provider it qualifies you to get O2 fills for first aid but it maybe hard to get fills out of town. You would need to probaly call ahead. Taking advance nitrox qualifies you to get O2 in a scuba cylinder. The only downside I would see about using the stage full of O2 for first aid is I am not sure if you can use a demand valve with it. Basically the injured diver would have to breath froma regulat a normal regulator. I dont think its a deal breaker though. I have seen divers sucking on deco gas on their tailgates after dives before. Same concept.

A medical regulator can be configured to fit on a scuba valve. It just takes a few extra parts.

Good to know. Do you know if there is somewhere online where I can see and example of this?

You can get a full medical O2 kit for <$150.

Alternatively, you can get a nitrox course ($150) and an advanced nitrox course ($350)... and a cylinder ($100) and have that cylinder O2 cleaned ($20) and a scuba regulator ($150) and have that regulator O2 cleaned ($40)... and then, if you need non-demand capacity (which you do) you can get a medical regulator ($40) and an adapter ($50)...

Just get a medical O2 kit. It's not rocket science. You don't need special qualifications. Giving surface O2 isn't a 'scuba skill' and doesn't require scuba-related training.

My grandmother had cylinders of O2 next to her bed. My mother (not a diver, no medical training) used to change out the cylinders, turn it on and fit the mask.

Again... it's not rocket science.

Wasn't the original question about how to get 02 for medical purposes, when flying to a dive location? Can you fly with a medical oxygen set?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom