Emergency Ascent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gee Mouth Breather- maybe you should have retired from hunting and took up golf yourself! I don't think you should make the mistake of comparing ME with you...

Coming from a hunter with over 25+ years of hunting experience, from duck hunting, to bowhunting to handgun hunting - you should already know that if a gun DOESN'T fit you correctly, or feel good in your hands - you'll never be successful with it! Which is exactly MY point for disliking the BP and wings and liking the BC.

To each is own - but, I suppose that I have been a whole lot luckier than you when it came to harvesting deer, ducks, rabbits, etc. I never had to resort to all that for MY shotguns and bows! And all MY deer were harvested with a older Bear Whitetail bow - that sold for a mere $80-100 in K-Marts back in the 70's!

Thats what makes America great - the ability for each of us to choose which product we prefer and use it.

Mine happens to be the traditional BC, which, incidentally, has worked - and continues to do so, for 99% of the diving community. Funny where I dove this past weekend, I saw only 1 diver wearing a BP (he was toting twins) and everyone else (very seasoned divers) was wearing traditional BC's.
You BP endorsers can't stand the fact that someone (anyone) dares to be non compliant with what YOU choose to dive. Its the old 'Do As I Say" logic. Its like the Ford owner telling the Chevy owner his car is superior. But IS it really?

I have failed to see the advantage that wearing a BP offers one. Walter, on this post, for example, is quite a seasoned veteran, as well as an instructor. He doesn’t dive a BP and wings. He could - but he himself doesn't see the advantage of doing so. Has that made HIM any less of a great diver? I don't think so.

Let it rest already - the BP and wings are sold - and it’s a done deal. Let me dive what I choose - and vice versa. Lets let it rest at the simple fact that I didn't care for the 'bland' features of the BP and wings and lack of features available on the rig.

PS No one is relying on ANY piece of gear to make me a better diver - thats NOT what this is about or ever HAS been about. It’s about an item offering features. I, personally, prefer zippered pockets for things while diving, some padding, and the ease of adjustability a BC offers - quick, no fuss adjustments of straps, etc.

I found no real advantage for OW dives to recreational depths in using the DIR hose config vs an octo placed in the Golden Triangle properly. In fact, I found the long hose annoying.

PSS - I never had to resort to the extremes YOU mentioned to be a successful hunter! Hmmm.....

Scuba446 once bubbled...

Gee Mouth Breather- maybe you should have retired from hunting and took up golf yourself!

See Scuba446, like so many others have intimated to you, on many many posts...you don't listen! My post indicated that I DID TAKE UP GOLF! I indicated that I made the same mistakes with golf and duck hunting that you seem to be making with SCUBA. TRY TO BE A BETTER LISTENER. I bet we could get a collection from everyone on the board to buy you a bigger monitor! ;-) I have read the posts of at least a dozen people that would write blank checks to you.

Scuba446 once bubbled...

Coming from a hunter with over 25+ years of hunting experience, from duck hunting, to bowhunting to handgun hunting

How may bows and handguns have you killed?

Scuba446 once bubbled...
- you should already know that if a gun DOESN'T fit you correctly, or feel good in your hands - you'll never be successful with it!

Scuba446 I like you!!! You remind me of myself when I was young and stupid ;-)

That's the POINT!!! I was NEW to hunting ducks (18 years old at the time). A newbie doesn't always know if the drop at the comb, offset, drop at the heel, length of pull is correct on a shotgun. Did you when you first bought a shotgun? The POINT is I kept looking for a hardware solution to my software problem. I wasn't smart enough to realize that I needed to refine my skills by hunting and at the range, not at the gun store. There was nothing wrong with my "Browning A-5", I wasn't keeping my cheek down. All the years of trap shooting rising clays made it hard to hit ducks dropping over dekes.

Your statement that

"...if a gun DOESN'T fit you correctly, or feel good in your hands - you'll never be succesful with it!"

is quite telling. It ignores the fact that lots of people shoot well with stocks that don't fit properly. Lots of people crush a golf ball with shafts that are the wrong length. Now I am not talking about a 10" length of pull or anything like that...I'm not talking about golf clubs from the miniature golf course.

"...never be succesful with it!"

Really? Never? Wow NEVER is a long time! Not even with practice? Thats sucks because I was thinking about going on a dive with some RENTED gear when I go to San Diego on some business. Since it might not fit me perfectly I guess I'm going to DIE...Unless of course the GEAR IN MY CRANIUM is in working order and I dive within my abilities.

:banging:

Scuba446 once bubbled...

You BP endorsers can't stand the fact that someone (anyone) dares to be non compliant with what YOU choose to dive.

Hey who are you calling names! I'm not a BP endorser. If you read my other posts you'll see that I use either a Classic Plus or Knighthawk! See Scuba446, you immediately assume that when someone is disagreeing with you on any level...in this case whether gear or training/practice/learning is more important...that they must be "from the other side". There are more than two sides to almost any discussion about something as complex as diving.

The main difference between you and me, is that you can't seem to get the fact that ALMOST anyone can make up for the real or perceived shortcomings in equipment, by becoming more facile with the gear they have. I bet Uncle Pug and the other experienced divers on this board that use BP and Wings, can swim circles around you and me if we forced them to use a regular jacket BC. That is because the they see gear as a tool to augment diving knowledge, not to make up for it. I could put on a properly fitted BP and Wings and have all sorts of problems if I don't have the common sense or experience to deal with the problems at hand. In the old days I would immediately try to blame everything on the gear.

Scuba446 once bubbled...

PSS - I never had to resort to the extremes YOU mentioned to be a successful hunter! Hmmm.....

PSS (off) - Well that must be because God decided to doubly bless YOU with that skill, rather than that of SCUBA Diving! Hmmm.....

Chill Out! You seem to get your hackles up everytime you perceive that someone is disagreeing with you. I don't care if you could shoot a gnat in the ass at a 1000 yards with a rubberband gun. I don't care to convince anyone that how I hunt or golf or ski, or what gear I use is better blah blah blah. I used an example of how I did something stupid (too many shotguns, not enough practice) to illustrate what lead to an epiphany for me. Somehow you turn it around to talk about what a "Great White Hunter" you are. LOL

I used examples of mistakes I made to show how I learned something new. You take my example and do what? Fold, spindle and mutilate it to show what a superior human being you are.

The folks who read this board know that I'm nothing if not self-deprecating, self-effacing, I LIKE to make fun of myself (sometimes others) to make a point. Let me just close with what I say to my teenage daughter when she doesn't want to listen...

"Whatever!"

Scuba446 I'm not trying to pick you...but man you are such an easy target! LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom