Emergency Ascent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba446 once bubbled...
BillP,
Because this actually HAPPENED this past weekend - before I asked the question just based on theory and info I received PRIOR to diving that weekend...

Ohhhh, I seeee... Well that certainly changes everything! Since your previous question was only based on a hypothetical situation, the detailed answers that you received must be wrong and are now absolutely invalid. Everyone that took the time (quite a lot of time and work from the looks of some of the responses) and wrote back to you then was just funnin' with you. Now that your hypothetical situation has actually happened, you want the real answer, right?

No, it looks like I don't see. I'm still confused, I guess. (grin)

Bill

BTW, LOVE your tag line in your signature.

Thanks,
My initial question was based on the 3 of us wondering what would happend IF we ran into ANY problems on our first dive by ourselves since being BOW certified.

Then, unfortunately, vertigo stuck and created a panic situation for 2 of the 3 of us...and I'm not embarrased (ok, I am) to admit it!

So the first time you asked the question you were wondering what would happen if 1 of 3 people made an emergency ascent from 40', and now you want to know what would happen if 2 people made an emergency ascent from 40'?

Nope, still not clear to me. (grin) I'm getting the impression that you're not really clear on what you're asking either. Why don't you take the time to go back to read the responses that you got to your question the first time. If you don't want to take a lot of time to re-read the whole thread, just read the first three answers- they did a good job of answering your question the first time. If you want to know some science behind the answer, read what Dr. Deco told you last time. Their answers apply equally to both theoretical and actual situations. The answer to your question is there in that thread. If you still need clarification on a specific point, then just ask. If you have a new question about ascents, then feel free to ask it too. But there's little to be gained from asking the same question that's already been answered for you before.

Think about it.

Regards,

Bill

you are confused for life now. Maybe since your selling your backplate and wings, you should just sell the rest of your gear and take up golf. Obviously you could clear up alot of confusion for yourself and the board members here..

Scuba446, I was wondering about the same thing a few weeks ago. During my rescue diver training, my instructor would become "OOA and unconscious" at about 35-40 feet without warning. I would shove my regulator in his mouth and rush to the surface. After descending the first time I rushed to the surface so fast I'm sure that I actually went backwards in time. I didn't breach, but I had to do this drill about 4 times. It was kind of bugging me...each ascent while my teacher hung limply in my arms I would wonder; "Are we getting bent yet!?!" "If I clear the water out of my mask right now...will it just fill with blood?"
My computer was indicating that the friction from my ascent was actually HEATING the water aroung me. (okay so I'm prone to hyperbole)

Regarding your "feelings of impending doom"...been there, done that, bought a T-Shirt. See the following:

http://www.scubaboard.com/t13633/s.html

I also like the quote on your signature line...But WHAT'S UP WITH ANTHONY ROBBINS TEETH? Could you imagine him as a SCUBA Diver? He would have to have some sort of humongous, prescription, titanium, mouthpiece to keep from biting through it.

Reminds me of this horse my grandpa had.

I re-read all the answers (and original question as well)...If I asked a redundant question - I apologize...it was just that AFTER it REALLY happened - the info from MY LDS conflicted with some of the origional info that I had received here PRIOR to the event.

Originally, the gist I received from my question was that basically, it’s not a big deal if it happens. Hence, it’s not a great thing - but hell, it’s not necessarily deadly either.

Waterlover - Thomas Edison once said "I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward."
Tell me that YOU have never experienced a problem in YOUR diving career? If not, you’re an extremely gifted human being or else an extremely lucky one! Having an isolated mishap while diving doesn't mean that one should QUIT. Thats sure not an Anthony Robbins trait in any of the seminars I've ever attended and its sure not a prescription that I live by. When the going gets rough, you quit? Wow, maybe the U.S. Marines should adopt THAT for their new motto! Just because I have had (what I feel) is a poor experience with a BP and wing that sure doesn't mean that I'm not suited for diving. Thats absurd, and exactly part of some of this 'opionated’’' diving' attitude we see here on this board from a few folks. The hidden agenda seems to relay the message loud and clear - "If you don't dive like WE say you should or use what WE use - your way IS wrong." I refuse to subscribe to that attitude...and others here as well. Condemn a diver because HE/SHE didn't have a good experience with a BP?

Seems I have seen a similar posting last week by a diver that had a similar experience himself and offered the BP and wing advocates $200 to dive with him and prove him wrong - that a BP and wing IS better than his BC. As I recall, no one has yet to take him up on that offer! Hmmm...

Mouth Breather - thats funny! Tony is a great guy - wish HE could read some of the negativity that we are experiencing here! He'd no doubt shake his head!

Thanks all for your postings, even the negative ones! Enough said - I think this thread can now be closed!

My question for you is after several attempts you gave up on the backplate and wings? Marines wouldn't have given up, now your headed out with different equipment again to try. I personnally don't feel it's the equipment but your lack of experience and training that are causing the problems for you. You have asked the same question twice the second time because your fear and stress that allowed the situation to happen. Maybe it's time to slow down find a good mentor and pick one style of equipment and gain some experience. There has been alot of information given to you in responses from very experienced people. Maybe you should read your signature line again and gain some wisdom from these folks. Safe diving.

BTW I'll take anyone one who wants to try a backplate and wings out and show them the basics. Just show up. You won't even need to pay me:)

First off, I have to agree that maybe you should find a mentor/dive buddy that you can dive with and learn from. You are obviously not that comfortable in the water, but time and experience should make a difference there. In your original question, I took that to mean "well into the dive" as opposed to the 3 minutes for this question. I can see how a student would be confused... but you are a certified diver that still has some basic questions about basic diving physiology.

That's "OK" to still have to work some things out, as long as you do it systematically and quickly. I am not sure that I would fault you as much as your original instructor. These are basic concepts that are at the core of teaching about DCS and lung over expansion injuries. I would take an hour or two out and go back and re-read the text on these subjects, so you can gain a clear understanding of their differences. If things are still muddy come back with some more questions so we can clarify where the text hasn't. But get that core knowledge down pat... for that is the only way to keep yourself safe underwater. That's the ultimate goal here.

I dove the BP and wings thru 1/2 of my BOW class and all my OW check outs and 1 dive after that. if I don't care for the lack or (see below) its not liekly to improve muhc in time:

*Wings keep trapping air requireing me to roll onto my right side to get air up to upper left dump valve.

*I like pockets on my rig

*I like integrated weights on my BC

*I like a easily adjustable shoulder strap system that allows for easy donning/doffing.

*I like a padded back

*I like more than just 3 D-Rings

*I like a sternum strap

The suggestion about a diving mentor is a good one - once of which I have considered and plan to incorporate.

Scuba446,

Man you remind me of myself when I got involved for the first time in other activites/sports I kept looking for gear "solutions" to my problems. I spent thousands of dollars on golf/hunting/ski/photography/drums/fly fishing gear. Trying over and over to find the magic piece of gear that would make me a great shot when duck hunting for example. I bought 7 different shotguns, had stocks lengthened, had stocks shortened, changed shot shell loads etc etc. One day I went duck hunting with this old guy that had a 20 guage double...only one barrel worked. This guy hadn't bought a new shotgun in 40 years! He dropped every Mallard that dared to cross in front of him with one shot. On the other hand my 12 guage autoloader "failed me" over and over. I was sure the choke was throwing blown patterns or something. The old guy asked to borrow my gun and dropped 3 pintails in the next flock. From that moment I spent more time on the trap range...used the same gun over and over and miracle of miracles I am a pretty damn good shot!

Anyway predictable (or is it?) story...I am a relatively new diver like you and another diver that has "issues" with BP and wings.
But I think that I have figured out that the way you become a good diver is not buy buying gear that makes you a good diver...you do it by studying and DIVING DIVING DIVING. Get your C-Card then book some trips, sign up for AOW, sign up for Rescue, sign up for a DIR class if you want. Just work on your skills and realize that we are NEWBIES for a long time. I just finished my Rescue Course and still realize that I don't know half of what the more experienced divers on this board know. The more I learn and study the more I realize how much more I have to learn. There is no magic piece of gear that can take the place of study and getting wet.

Mouth Breather

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom