Emergency Ascent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba446

Reaction score
How serious is an Emergecny Ascent from 41 ft to the surface after 3 mins into a dive w/o a safety stop - but, breathing all the way up?

I sure hope it isn't a problem... I may do up to six of these and another eight from 20' in a day when we're running two classes.
Rick

Rick,

Why do the required CESA from 41ft? Isn't 20 ft sufficient to teach the skill?

Hmm,
I had to do one on my first dive alone since being certified Saturday...we were at 41 ft, 3 mins into the dive, and I just got a strange 'sensation' while diving - a combo of it felt like we were 'moving' (we had been floating on the surface with our BC's inflated in choppy waves for awhile), I lost sight of my buddies, I could see bottom, vis was poor - looked like it was snowing' down there, and I was just overcome by this 'impending doom' feeling - really odd. This happened to 2 of us 3. My friend had it happen due to some problems he was trying to work out, etc.

We dove after that to 51 ft for 31 mins and were OK.

My LDS said that a qucik ascent from 41 ft (even with breathing - I was) is very bendable.

The "sensation" was probably vertigo (causes in other threads) - once you go through it a couple of times you'll get used to it and won't have heightened anxiety.

If you are in doubt or feel the need, call DAN to chat about the possible implications of the rapid ascent.

Howdy Scuba446:

I'm confused. How is this question different from the one you asked on 8/15? That question generated quite a few very good and quite thorough responses. Did the people who answered you last time leave out some information that you were specifically looking for?

For the recent thread, see:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13509&pagenumber=1

HTH,

Bill

Scuba446 once bubbled...
My LDS said that a qucik ascent from 41 ft (even with breathing - I was) is very bendable.

I think it depends on how quickly you ascended. Somehow I get the impression that you freaked and "punched out", swam up as fast as your legs would carry you. That right? if so, you could very well have tweaked yourself. I would like other hyperbaric injuries are more likely than DCS though.

You need to be careful guy, you're obviously not comfortable with your equipment (based on other threads), you're not comfortable in the water in general based on this one. I strongly recommend you try to dive with experienced divers for awhile, until you get this down a bit better.

Please be careful.

Tom

tampascott once bubbled...
Rick,
Why do the required CESA from 41ft? Isn't 20 ft sufficient to teach the skill?
The deeper CESA is in Rescue/Master not OW, and is not "teaching the skill" but "demonstrating the efficacy of the skill" - an "experience" exercise - different course, different goal, with far more experienced divers. But my point is that a proper CESA from 40' after just a few minutes at that depth just simply isn't a big deal. If Scuba446 is talking about a "bolt" rather than a CESA then we're talking apples and oranges; there is additional risk in a bolt to the surface. "Controlled" is the key issue.
Rick

Dear Scuba446:

As the responders have indicated, this ascent for that duration does not represent a very large nitrogen load. It would be very surprising if a problem developed based on dissolved nitrogen.

A fast ascent when you have a problem in your lung tissue is a different matter. As always, a slow and controlled ascent is necessary.

Dr Deco :doctor:

BillP,
Because this actually HAPPENED this past weekend - before I asked the question just based on theory and info I received PRIOR to diving that weekend...

Back
Top Bottom