Embarrassing and/or clever diving stories.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am probably more of a scuba diver than a freediver, but have been doing both for a long time. I was doing some freedive spearfishing in around 60 feet one day and was feeling especially comfortable.

On one particular dive, I swam down to about 50 feet and started to gently swim with the current about 10 feet above the reef. Even though I was horizontal and swimming, I was still sinking and more negative than I wanted. I reached over and kept fumbling but could not find my power inflator on my BC. I was doing it by touch, and kept swimming but after 4-5 tries to locate the hose I was becoming increasingly agitated that I couldn't do it by touch. I never have to look for my inflator, it is always in the exact same spot, held on my shoulder straps by elastic bands.

I stopped swimming and looked down and directed all my attention to looking for the inflator, it was not until that moment that I realized I was freediving, had no air to breath and had no BC or scuba gear on.

I thought it was hilarious that I could be that comfortable (and stupid) 50 feet down.

haha classic, good thing you didn't take a breath

First OW training dive was a snorkle dive to 15 feet. I had my car keys in the pocket of my swim trunks. They had the electronic key fob to turn off the car alarm. I wound up having to open the car with the key, which set off the alarm. I couldn't start the car with the alarm going off. I had to yank the battery cable off to stop the alarm from sounding and then get someone to turn the key to start, while I touched the lead to the battery. I took several tries, but I was able to get it started.
The next day I forgot my fins at my house, about an hour away from the dive site. I had to borrow a set from one of the DM's. :dork2:

This story involved two guys, a cave, a drysuit and a dog.
OK, I see the two guys, I see the cave, and I see the drysuit. Where does the dog fit into the story?

Daz

We continued our dive and about 100 feet away I saw some mesh sticking out of the sand. Grab it and pull, what do you know?? A game bag! Shake the sand out and what is left in the bottom of the bag? A lobster gauge!
We quickly swam back and found the cave, and out of 10 lobsters in there, 4 were legal. Yum! -N

Where was this new place? Enquiring minds:eyebrow:

So what do I win? :D

Daz

Back when I worked the LDS, the rig of choice was the At-Pak. It was kind of a weight integrated BP/W and the easiest way to don it was to pitch it into the water and don it there. Being weight integrated, it was rather important to inflate the wing prior to pitching it into the water. Seems everyone, at one time or other, forgot to do this and it was always amusing to watch their reaction as their rig sank to the bottom..

Having seen this occur no less than ten times, I was able to react fast enough when my time came.

I've forgotten the dive belt also, dive buddy wasn't too content in the 50 degree water waiting for me to swim back.

One moment that made me laugh at myself was once when I was in the middle of a dive, I felt a little too positive so I grab my inflator hose to vent some air and I hear the air purging but it sounds awful loud to me, so I look at my inflator hose and realize that I was pushing the right button but also had my hand wrapped around the inflator button and was filling/dumping my BC at the same time!

Definitely the weight belt again, I've forgotten it on the picnic table and had to go back and get it. But it was worse this past time, I had all my gear together after driving 2 hours to the dive site ($$) and then I suddenly realized that I had forgotten my weight belt at home. I ended up doing some bodysurfing and calling it good... OOPS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom