Suggestion Emailing PMs to yourself

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
CompuDude

CompuDude

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The ability to email PMs that I have sent and received, to myself, would be fantastic. That way I can maintain a record of messages in my email program which is (a) designed for retaining and searching large numbers of message, and (b) has unlimited space, unlike my PM box!

You know that you can export private messages in several file formats?

El Orans:
You know that you can export private messages in several file formats?
Yes, I actually did see that, but it's easier to actually have it in an email message format. Something like a regular forwarded email, where I have a subject line that matches the title, a date and time stamp (even if in the text). When you forward an email, you can have your mail client put in the text to end up with an email something like this:

~~~~~~
To: Compudude@mydomain.com
Subject: ScubaBoard PM Sent: Emailing PMs to yourself
Date: (whatever time I chose to forward it to myself)

On October 31, 2006, at 11:27 a.m., El Orans sent via PM:
(text of PM here)
~~~~~~

That's something I can work with in my mail program, filtering, archiving, etc.

I can copy and paste stuff together, and I can save my PMs as text or XML, etc., and forward those files, but it's not quite the same, and it's a very manual process. I would think it would be fairly simple for a mailto script to auto-formate an email if I click the button saying "Email this to my registered email address".

Anyway, just an idea I've had kicking around in the back of my head. I have to go through my PM box periodically to delete messages, and there are some that I would like to preserve for posterity but don't really want to hassle with going through one by one, copying and pasting contents and formatting an email worthy of saving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom