EM-1 MkII and 12-40mm in Nauticam Housing Install from back.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris Ross

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I just picked up my new Nauticam housing for the EM-1 MkII and been playing around with it. One thing I noticed is it seems to have more clearance around the port with different configurations of levers to control the front buttons.

So I tried putting in the camera/12-40mm f2.8 from the rear and found I could install the camera/lens/zoom gear from the back of the housing with the Zen 170mm dome. With my previous EM5-MkII nauticam the lens would not fit as has been commonly reported on here and other forums and required installation from the front.

A nice additional feature I have not seen reported previously.

Nice discovery Chris! I love that lens for topside, but have only used it on my old E-M1 with a Sony mirrorless type dome to N85 port converter. I have to say that I was not impressed by the close focusing ability of that lens/dome combo at all. I'd be curious to find out what you think of it behind the DP-170 port as I actually own one and have thought it might be useful for fish portraits and the like. Thanks!
Bogdan

Hi Bogdan,

I've been quite happy with the results from the 12-40 and nauticam dome combo, note that you need either the type II dome or N120 dome and adapter as apparently the lock inside the extensions for the type I dome interfere, but you should be able to check that out. In the N170 dome it focuses very close to the dome glass perhaps not right on it. At 40mm you can get 0.3x quite close to the dome. This gallery was mostly shot with the 12-40 (apart from the whale sharks):

Ningaloo Reef

It can also shoot larger nudis at a pinch, these two were shot with the 12-40 at 40mm and quite close in:

Ceratosoma amonenum 5
Hypselodoris bennetti.5

They are medium nudis about 40mm long. Also great for medium size subjects like this about 200mm long:

Leafy Seadragon 2

All the files on my website have EXIF data in them so can use an add-on like Fxif in firefox to view the settings.

Back
Top Bottom