Ella Jean Morgan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Duke Dive Medicine

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Ella Jean Morgan passed away on May 15th, 2014. She was a friend and mentor to me and to many others. She was a long-time member of the Women Diver's Hall of Fame, and there's an obituary for her posted to their website:

Women Divers Hall of Fame | Home Page

Ella was a 5'2" giant. I'll miss her.

Eric Hexdall, RN, ACHRN
Clinical Director, Duke Dive Medicine
5/21/14

Very sad as she was a true pioneer in scuba.............

RIP.................

Ella Jean Morgan !

The world has lost a great classy lady and even greater is the loss to the recreational, and professional diving worlds.

Ella Jean was the product of the first instructor certification program the very intensive extremely demanding three month long Los Angeles County Underwater Instruction course; The famed UICC. She also crossed over to NAUI, (PADI could not meet LA Co UICC qualifications)

She became one of the few females who graduated from LA Co UICC and was the first Afro-American female underwater Instructor. She was indeed a true pioneer underwater instructor who lead the way for so many to follow in her fin prints

It was during her UICC that we first met and became life long friends. We would meet periodically at diving events and have a catch up chat. Little did I realize I would be writing her obituary or did I realize the impact I had upon her diving career until I read her biography in the Legends of diving. I am indeed honored ..!

For your information I suggest that you my want to read about this remarkable lady from the following sources;

Legends of Scuba Diving

History of Scuba Diving | Legends of Scuba Diving | Portage Quarry Recreation Club / FeaturedLegends / Ella%20Jean%20Morgan_bio.htm - 42k - similar pagesBorn in Belize City, Belize on January 17, 1939 to missionary parents, Ella Jean Morgan certainly qualifies as a truly International Legend of Diving. Certainly the ...

International Legends Of Diving Biographies

International Legends Of Diving Biographies - 202k - similar pagesBorn in Belize City, Belize on January 17, 1939 to missionary parents, Ella Jean Morgan certainly qualifies as a truly International Legend of Diving. Certainly the ...

For Women Divers Only! by Dr. Sam Miller - Legends of Scuba Diving
For Women Divers Only! by Dr. Sam Miller - History of SCUBA Diving - 46k - similar pagesLegends of Diving? honors one of the nicest and loveliest ladies that ever ... According to Erin and Ella Jean an updated larger version will be published as soon ...( I consider my self so fortunate to have an inscribed copy)
* For all you women divers on this board who have questions (or some who have all the answers) I would strongly urge that you aquire the book "For Women Divers Only" researched an authored by Ella Jean and Erin O'Neil

Some pictures of Ella Jean (& Erin) from WDHF:

Women Divers Hall of Fame | Home Page

Women Divers Hall of Fame | Home Page - 19k - similar pagesElla Jean Morgan WDHOF 2000 ... (and, from the International Legends of Diving website) ... The Women Divers Hall of Fame™ (WDHOF) is an international

Women Divers Hall of Fame | Facebook

Women Divers Hall of Fame | Facebook - 338k - similar pagesWDHOF ladies coming together in 2014 for a fun night, to celebrate legends, ... In loving memory of Ella Jean Morgan, WDHOF 2000 January 17, 1939 - May.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote "Afishianado :It's a sad week in the NC Diving community."

Ella Jean did not live and was NOT associated with North Carolina. She lived in California the majority of her adult life and was a product the LA Co UICC & NAUI programs.

Her passing is certainly a sad time for the world's diving community
SDM

Wow what an amazing woman. My condolences to her family!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom