Elevated Oxygen Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison:
Nor have I ever noticed any difference with changes to 50% or higher for deco, but then those are at such a low total gas pressure that narcotic effects are absent or nearly absent anyway. Which brings the point... since at "narcotic" depths the limiting percentage of oxygen is dictated by O2 toxicity anyway, is it really worth pursuing?
---
On the article I cited above - that's a copy I saved; I'll try to find the source, but if I remember correctly there wasn't any amplifying info there either.
Rick

I've actually notice narcosis before after a switch to 50% from mix while on deco. It's not real consistant but it has happend a few times.

Speaking for recreational diving only: Nitrox does not reduce the chance of getting DCS or being narced. Nitrox extends your bottom time. Also for me, I feel better after a dive--more energy. If you were diving nitrox but using air time limits (within the restricted diving depths of your particular nitrox blend) then you could argue that nitrox is a safer mix than air. When you dive nitrox and extend your bottom times, nitrox is no safer than air.

Ann Marie,
Textbook answer. :)

Wedivebc,
What you did really doesn't relate to what is being discussed. Yes. You lowered your PO2, but you did it in a way that took it below normal Oxygen levels. It was the equivalent of breathing in and out of a balloon until you get dizzy. IMO, you didn't experience Nitrogen narcosis. You experienced Hypoxia. Two totally different critters.

Joe

Sideband:
Ann Marie,
Textbook answer. :)

Wedivebc,
What you did really doesn't relate to what is being discussed. Yes. You lowered your PO2, but you did it in a way that took it below normal Oxygen levels. It was the equivalent of breathing in and out of a balloon until you get dizzy. IMO, you didn't experience Nitrogen narcosis. You experienced Hypoxia. Two totally different critters.

Joe
No that is not true at all. 17% oxygen at 100 fsw is equivalent to a ppo2 of .7 or 70% oxygen at the surface. I see from your profile you are nitrox trained I am surprised that ppo2 wasn't covered. :06:

Ann Marie:
Speaking for recreational diving only: Nitrox does not reduce the chance of getting DCS or being narced. Nitrox extends your bottom time. Also for me, I feel better after a dive--more energy. If you were diving nitrox but using air time limits (within the restricted diving depths of your particular nitrox blend) then you could argue that nitrox is a safer mix than air. When you dive nitrox and extend your bottom times, nitrox is no safer than air.

Still, I hear (a lot) about diving nitrox in order to reduce narcosis, so I decided to get to the bottom of it. My nitrox instructor mentioned it, and if my recollection serves me, it was in the PADI course (someone could help me out - it's been quite a long time since I did it)
Personally, my use of nitrox is limited to multi day repetitive dives where I want to continue reasonable bottom times, and to the end of a week of diving because it adds a margin to the no-fly time.

DCS is related (via total n2 absorption) to the actual pn2 and its duration, so diving nitrox but using an air computer, which reduces pn2 while keeping duration constant, should reduce risk of DCS, and I was able to find literature that found reduced n2 absorption under those circumstances.

Peter

The PADI Nitrox course mentions that O2 can be as narcotic as nitrogen and that the feeling of more energy after diving is more or less a myth.

wedivebc:
No that is not true at all. 17% oxygen at 100 fsw is equivalent to a ppo2 of .7 or 70% oxygen at the surface. I see from your profile you are nitrox trained I am surprised that ppo2 wasn't covered. :06:

I missed the 100 fsw part. Sorry about that.

Joe

MaxBottomtime:
The PADI Nitrox course mentions that O2 can be as narcotic as nitrogen and that the feeling of more energy after diving is more or less a myth.
Yes and in the PADI rebreather instructor manual it states that one has to be careful to avoid lowered PPO2 in the loop since the higher nitrogen can lead to narcosis
So it seems PADI doesn't really know where it stands on the issue.

Sideband:
I missed the 100 fsw part. Sorry about that.

Joe

yeah. I kinda figured that :wink:

Back
Top Bottom