Elements 6.0 - slow to load

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

merxlin

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just picked up Elements 6.0. It seems to take almost 3 minutes to load a pic fom the organizer into the editor, and almost the same to save it once I am done editing. This is on a brand new computer with plenty of RAM and HD space. Is it just slow or is there something I am doing wrong?

Hmm, that's definitely not right if you've got the RAM on board. I was running 512 RAM with both CS3 and Lightroom with huge files and didn't have anything like those times!

I haven't used Elements so can't offer much help (and am a total non-computer person in general). Is there some sort of allocation maybe? Maybe Elements isn't getting any?

Hmm, that's definitely not right if you've got the RAM on board. I was running 512 RAM with both CS3 and Lightroom with huge files and didn't have anything like those times!

I haven't used Elements so can't offer much help (and am a total non-computer person in general). Is there some sort of allocation maybe? Maybe Elements isn't getting any?

This is on a brand new 1gig RAM, quad-core processor. I am running it on 1/2 of a partioned hard drive (320 gig per side, 650 gig total if I remember right), and this is the only thing running on this half. It should scream. Can I blame it on Vista?

This is on a brand new 1gig RAM, quad-core processor. I am running it on 1/2 of a partioned hard drive (320 gig per side, 650 gig total if I remember right), and this is the only thing running on this half. It should scream. Can I blame it on Vista?

I use Elements 6.0 on a Dell D610 (1.8 MHz) with 1GB of memory. Think old and slow. It takes about 10 seconds to load a photo into the editor from the organizer. I checked using a raw image that was over 14MB. I am using XP Pro not Vista but it shouldn't cause that big of a difference.

Try opening task manager and looking at the tab labeled Processes. The column labeled CPU shows the percentage of the processor that is being consumed by every task that is running. If you've never looked here the number of active processes will surprise you. See if anything is hogging up the processor. Next look at the performance tab. Open Elements while watching the graphs. The processor utilization should spike at 100% but the page file usage shouldn't. If the page file spikes something is tying up your memory.

I use Elements 6.0 on a Dell D610 (1.8 MHz) with 1GB of memory. Think old and slow. It takes about 10 seconds to load a photo into the editor from the organizer. I checked using a raw image that was over 14MB. I am using XP Pro not Vista but it shouldn't cause that big of a difference.

Try opening task manager and looking at the tab labeled Processes. The column labeled CPU shows the percentage of the processor that is being consumed by every task that is running. If you've never looked here the number of active processes will surprise you. See if anything is hogging up the processor. Next look at the performance tab. Open Elements while watching the graphs. The processor utilization should spike at 100% but the page file usage shouldn't. If the page file spikes something is tying up your memory.

Thanks, I'll give it a look.

Back
Top Bottom