Electronic certification proof

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dnaber

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
As I slowly gain certifications I'm finding they take up a lot a room in the wallet. Has anyone tried just using (in my case) DiverLog app and just show the certifications that you can save with photos on a smart phone?

Can't comment on diverlog, but several cert agencies provide electronic "cards". My daughter used an electronic card from SSI before her plastic card arrived in the mail.

I suspect the answer to that question will vary from dive operator to dive operator. Some will take electronic, some won't.

As I slowly gain certifications I'm finding they take up a lot a room in the wallet. Has anyone tried just using (in my case) DiverLog app and just show the certifications that you can save with photos on a smart phone?
I shoot a picture of the cards and keep it on my phone.

I do the same thing for credit cards and my passport when I travel

Just carry the ones you need on a given trip, certainly not all the specialty cards. On a recreational trip that would probably be OW/AOW, Nitrox, and dive insurance.

I shot pictures of the cards and uploaded them to my Diverlog App. I also keep them stored in a small dry bag (I get every time I buy a new Miflex Hose). One dive shop I worked at did not take Electronic Cert Cards. But, they would take your ID card and do a Padi Pro Dive Chek. They also checked some of the other agencies online.

Almost all of the dive certification agencies offer e-cards now. SSI includes it, others charge extra for the e-card. I usually just take my phone. Usually fill at the same shop, and they know me, so I never have to show it.

I've actually got two SSI apps on my phone. Apparently, they made an update and released it as a new app. I thought about getting rid of the old one, then decided to keep it and log in with my daughter's info.

I shoot a picture of the cards and keep it on my phone.

I do the same thing for credit cards and my passport when I travel

I do the exact same thing. I have the copies on my phone and carry my hard cards in a tiny dry bag. I have shown my phone cards more than once and never had a problem. SDI also allows a simple online search.

SDI also allows a simple online search.
As does PADI, of course.

As does PADI, of course.

The one time I forgot my card, and the dive op tried to look me up on PADI's system, the system was down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom