Electrician's Apprenticeship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

humanbeing

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,
I applied for an apprenticeship with the IBEW, but today I received a letter saying they aren't accepting any new apprentices due to the state of the economy. I'm sure there are some electricians on the board, so does anyone have any suggestions for other places where I could look for an apprenticeship? Thanks!

Hello fellow electrician. Well it is a tough economy since building is really slow. Lucky for me I build carpet machines (tufters). I did not do the union thing because I was in the Carpenter's Local as an appretice and never worked. You may think about going to a vocational type campus and taking a electrical class. That is what I did and got hired at the place I work. In the south a union is not as big as it is in the north. No offence but after all the car manufactor bailouts I dislike the unions especially the UAW.

Thanks for the response. Were you already working at the place you're at now when you took the class?

Thanks for the response. Were you already working at the place you're at now when you took the class?
I know Mopar. I work with Mopar, and Mopar; you're no Electrician. Just Kidding!:D

I also work in the electrical field. I got my training in the electronics field while in the Navy. In our area, the housing and construction is down somewhat so residential and construction wiring types of jobs are scarce. Manufacturing is also stale, but our business is a little blessed at the moment after a really sour 2009.
If you decide to try some classes; motion control, computer integration, logic circuits (PLC), industrial wiring, etc. seem to be the needs for now and probably the future (in this area) for manufacturing and maintenance/service of equipment.
That may or may not be the situation where you live. You would need to research the businesses in the area you live or plan to live, and the planned businesses to see what specific knowledge/skill sets would best serve you. Like Mopar, we aren't big on the unions around here, but we are lucky that we have an employer that is ahead of the unions for pay scale and benefits for our industry in this area.
Good Luck and best wishes!!

Yes. After I finished my class they moved me to the electrical shop.

I know Mopar. I work with Mopar, and Mopar; you're no Electrician. Just Kidding!:D

:shocked2: I forgot at our place of work they like to call us "dot connectors". Why.... we don't know maybe it has to do with the attitude anyone can do this job. Or at least that is what they think. :shakehead:

...:shocked2: I forgot at our place of work they like to call us "dot connectors". Why.... we don't know maybe it has to do with the attitude anyone can do this job. Or at least that is what they think. :shakehead:
Actually, I think it's 'cause the one who coined that phrase only had enough comprehension while viewing a schematic to think of the game "Connect the Dots". :D

I have been a ELECTRICIAN for 46 years, as of this June. Got my training and schooling in the Navy, World's best. From there to Industry, then started my own business, 24 years, sold it 3 years ago.
Vocational school or Military training hard to beat. Do not have much use for unions.

Good luck in whatever you do, just do it well, and you will be in demand!

Chief

Hi all,
I applied for an apprenticeship with the IBEW, but today I received a letter saying they aren't accepting any new apprentices due to the state of the economy. I'm sure there are some electricians on the board, so does anyone have any suggestions for other places where I could look for an apprenticeship? Thanks!

Is there an Association of Building Contractors(ABC) Chapter in your area if so they will take in apprentices ... and get you connected with a local contractor who is hiring. ABC operates similar to the IBEW however you pay no dues ... we the contractors pay the overhead of the Chapter. Same training without the political baloney of joining a union.

ABC - Home Page

I have two apprentices in ABC here in California right now ...1 in San Diego the other is in the San Francisco bay area ...

If you are willing to relocate to SoCal ... there are billions of dollars of work coming out this year and many contractors will be looking for apprentices. Oh yea the diving is just a little bit better to boot.

Is there an Association of Building Contractors(ABC) Chapter in your area if so they will take in apprentices ... and get you connected with a local contractor who is hiring. ABC operates similar to the IBEW however you pay no dues ... we the contractors pay the overhead of the Chapter. Same training without the political baloney of joining a union.

ABC - Home Page

I have two apprentices in ABC here in California right now ...1 in San Diego the other is in the San Francisco bay area ...

If you are willing to relocate to SoCal ... there are billions of dollars of work coming out this year and many contractors will be looking for apprentices. Oh yea the diving is just a little bit better to boot.

That is the best of both worlds. No union and you get free training. That is a very good idea and I say in time this will catch on and the rest of the country will do this. :D

That is the best of both worlds. No union and you get free training. That is a very good idea and I say in time this will catch on and the rest of the country will do this. :D

It ain't exactly free ... I pay a nice membership fee every yr and pick up their training. ...so far it is worth it since my guys get a real quality training in any field ...half my guys are operators as well as electricians ...makes for a more efficient work force. We are not constrained by union rules and union "titles" ... When you're doing federal contracting you got to have employees who can do more than one trade, are certified and trained to accomplish more than one discipline.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom