El Secreto Ambergris Dive Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had originally called. They said that Amigos was their contractor for BH trips but that they used an "in house" DM for other dives, which I doubted - hence the thread. Was hoping someone local had heard who they actually use or knew if they just contract out on a case by case basis. Seems like it's mostly Amigos.

Concerns about remoteness and cost to get off the property to a dive shop noted. It's most likely not an issue for us (not looking for a dive vacation but for a vacation with a couple days of resort diving, so we're fine as long as the op is reputable), but when you say this place is remote, is it very far from good dive sites or just far from the most dive shops and the town - if we got a charter to pick us up would we have access to dive sites near the resort?

For what it's worth, "discounted" room rates offered by the manager upon calling, though still very high, were much lower than published/net rates and more on par with the other two places we were looking at, so if anyone else does look at the property, it's worth it to call and ask for 30% off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No Elbert, he sold out of Ecologic and now uses his house near the land-based gas station as accommodation for "Scuba School Belize" (advertised as the only true licenced scuba school in the whole of Belize). He runs it (remotely as far as I know) with his (and my) erstwhile employee Junior Tillett. I understand Junior started and runs the new dive shop at White Sands Resort (not of course to be confused, though I'm sure it is, with your "White Sands Dive Shop"). Somehow they're managing to service Tranquility Bay from that base, though I can't imagine what the economics are. Maybe they add a large "extra" to their bills as Amigos apparently do for El Secreto, though that doesn't appear to make a very attractive deal for the divers. Or maybe it's a loss leader in anticipation of ... I don't know what. Anyway, Steve is still very much here, even if not physically.

Concerns about remoteness and cost to get off the property to a dive shop noted. It's most likely not an issue for us (not looking for a dive vacation but for a vacation with a couple days of resort diving, so we're fine as long as the op is reputable), but when you say this place is remote, is it very far from good dive sites or just far from the most dive shops and the town - if we got a charter to pick us up would we have access to dive sites near the resort?

Peter, could you answer the OP's questions above? I'm also wondering how long it would take for these $50 boat rides back and forth from the resort to San Pedro.

Junes, I know we've been a little snarkey about your choice of accomodations but it's all in good fun. Obviously, you're entitled to stay wherever you want and pay whatever you want. Too bad about our Falcons, btw. I lost a bet with my law partner and have to wear a 49ers cap all week. Welcome to ScubaBoard and be sure to write a trip report when you get back. As far as I know, it will be a first for El Secreto on this board. And topside photos will be much appreciated.

I'm not exactly sure where "El Secreto" is, but there are certainly excellent dive sites not far away (within 10-15 minutes' boat ride, maybe much closer). The dive op cited has a good reputation. With a properly equipped and staffed dive boat you should have an excellent time close by. Organisationally it sounds either clunky or expensive, but paying what is asked you'll have no complaints over the results.

Thanks Downing and Peter. The resort says the fee for a local two tank dive is $82.50 and there is no $50 or $60 fee for transport if you're staying there so maybe that extra charge is just for Blue Hole. Who knows. Guess I'll go and see and will report back in March. No worries about Internet snarkiness - I've been lurking long enough to know that there will be a bias against any expensive non-diving centered resort here, and if we're talking about cheesy advertising, well...with places named the Phoenix, Banana Beach, Tranquility Bay, etc., isn't cheesy part of the theme/charm of Ambergris.

I'm originally from the Bay Area and caught a lot of crap before the game in this city, so I must rejoice in your hat punishment rather than commiserate :)

Geez, Junes, have you seen the Phoenix and from what it rose?! That place is very properly named. And while I realize it wasn't your point, I find my delicate sensabilities recoiling at "Banana Beach" and "The Phoenix" being used in the same sentence. :)

No Elbert, he sold out of Ecologic and now uses his house near the land-based gas station as accommodation for "Scuba School Belize" (advertised as the only true licenced scuba school in the whole of Belize). He runs it (remotely as far as I know) with his (and my) erstwhile employee Junior Tillett. I understand Junior started and runs the new dive shop at White Sands Resort (not of course to be confused, though I'm sure it is, with your "White Sands Dive Shop"). Somehow they're managing to service Tranquility Bay from that base, though I can't imagine what the economics are. Maybe they add a large "extra" to their bills as Amigos apparently do for El Secreto, though that doesn't appear to make a very attractive deal for the divers. Or maybe it's a loss leader in anticipation of ... I don't know what. Anyway, Steve is still very much here, even if not physically.
Peter , You almost need a monthly report with how these dive shops come and go . I think you'll find that Scuba Schools Belize has moved from WS Cove Resort and been replaced with WS Pro Dive Academy. .. just to make it even more confusing his name is also Jr. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom