El Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trajan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am headed to Coz in Apr. with my sis (non diver). After changing hotels 15 times she has decided on El Cozumeleno (I find it best just to sit back and let her decide, that way I dont have to hear about it when something goes wrong).
Anyone with experience with this hotel or their dive op? I've never been to Coz before, from what I hear I think it'll be a great time.
I should also say that I am finishing up my ow cert. there, so I am a rookie.

I am headed to Coz in Apr. with my sis (non diver). After changing hotels 15 times she has decided on El Cozumeleno (I find it best just to sit back and let her decide, that way I dont have to hear about it when something goes wrong).

Assuming you are male, this is excellent practice for when you are married... ;^)

I stayed at El Cozumeleno once and probably wouldn't go back. There's nothing terribly wrong with the place, but there were a few annoyances that built up to a "no return" for me:

1) Too far from town. My dive op wouldn't send a boat that far down for me so I had to taxi in every morning.

2) Too far from town. I couldn't walk downtown for the excellent restaurants.

3) All inclusive. I always take a beating when I say this here, but all inclusive doesn't work in Cozumel. The food in town is too good and too cheap. If you go to Cozumel and never leave the resort you're missing the best part of the place.

-Charles

We stayed at El Coz in November at the insistance of friends for 3 nights. There is much to like about the place. The views are great, the bar is included, our room was big, clean and comfortable we liked the grounds and sitting by the ocean at the end of the day relaxing with a drink watching the sunset ad the cruise ships leaving. We loved breakfast and lunch but never stayed for dinner. It is closer to town that many of the AIs. Not to shabby!
We rented a car to get to the marina to dive with our dive OP. We did see guests get picked up by Scuba Du, the house shop. They looked happy!
We finished off our vacation by moving to a condo in the town for the next four days. We like this type of vacation best. Our friends just loved the place and are returning.

I stayed at El Cozumeleno once and probably wouldn't go back. There's nothing terribly wrong with the place, but there were a few annoyances that built up to a "no return" for me:

1) Too far from town. My dive op wouldn't send a boat that far down for me so I had to taxi in every morning.

3) All inclusive. I always take a beating when I say this here, but all inclusive doesn't work in Cozumel. The food in town is too good and too cheap. If you go to Cozumel and never leave the resort you're missing the best part of the place.

(1)I only the one site dive op and Scuba Du (I think) will pick up there as it is north of town. To use any other dive OP, you'll need to taxi/drive a rental car to a predetermined meeting spot.

(3) In YOUR opinion, AI isn't a good choice for Cozumel. While I might agree with you, it isn't a universal truth.

it isn't a universal truth.

I never said it was. Any reasonable person could read my post and determine that I was stating an opinion.

-Charles

Anyone with experience with this hotel or their dive op? I've never been to Coz before, from what I hear I think it'll be a great time.
I should also say that I am finishing up my ow cert. there, so I am a rookie.

No experience with that hotel. But I do have to echo the earlier opinion that you do need to spend some time in town. It is beautiful and fun. While I was there, I was able to rent a convertable VW for $100 for the whole week. That price was only good if booked before I got there.Check on line. Then transportation is not an issue. Most dive ops have a locker so that you can keep your stuff there without having to bring it back and forth every day. Cozumel is great. Enjoy yourself

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom