El Cid/ kayak rentals/ basic info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdawg

Reaction score
Hello,
We are about 2 weeks from our first time to Coz. We found a good rate at El Cid but they are slim on perks. Is there a place closeby to rent kayaks? Do they have combis that run to downtown like around Playa? I think downtown will be our best bet for food expecially if we can find some local places, yes? suggestions? Maybe a market for groceries..?
Thanks
Mark

cdawg:
Hello,
We are about 2 weeks from our first time to Coz. We found a good rate at El Cid but they are slim on perks. Is there a place closeby to rent kayaks? Do they have combis that run to downtown like around Playa? I think downtown will be our best bet for food expecially if we can find some local places, yes? suggestions? Maybe a market for groceries..?
Thanks

You know, I can't recall ever seeing a kayak in Coz. Proably are some but they don't appear to be real popular. I would guess it's because of the currents. If you do find a kayak make sure you head out against the current. Spend about 3/4 of your alloted time heading againts it before you turn around and you'll still probably get back early.

I think a jet-ski might be a better choice there.

James

cdawg:
Hello,
Thanks
Mark

What is a combi? It's a fairly cheap cab ride to town from El Cid. As for groceries, your best bet is probably Chedraui (which is a lot like a Kroger's); it's on the main drag just south of town across the street from Plaza las Glorias. It's a pretty big place with a full produce department and a decent selection and price for beers. I recommend cervesa Leon Negra.

Oh, and be sure to rent a car and tour the other side of the island.

ggunn:

That's about the best non-diving/non-eating advice a person can give on Cozumel. The east side is a must do.

ggunn:
What is a combi? It's a fairly cheap cab ride to town from El Cid. As for groceries, your best bet is probably Chedraui (which is a lot like a Kroger's); it's on the main drag just south of town across the street from Plaza las Glorias. It's a pretty big place with a full produce department and a decent selection and price for beers. I recommend cervesa Leon Negra.

A combi is the Mexican version of a local bus, normally a van with seating for about 10 (very cozy) plus small animals. On the Playa side (and most of Mexico) you can catch these white VW or Ford vans alongside the road. There are no bus stops but if you wait beside the road they will stop for you. The drivers are very friendly and the ride is an experience not to be missed but dont expect them to speak english. You need to be able to ask how much is it to [your destination] and understand the amount they say. Normally about $4 for what a cab would charge $20. Travel agents and resorts will tell you they are dangerous but we have only had good experiences.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom