EKPP reflectors - is there another choice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason B

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have one of the EKPP reflectors on my Halcyon 18w hid. While it is a nice reflector, it has, like many others I've read about, turned from shiney to dull. It's also a tad larger than the standard Halcyon reflector (mine H reflector is the old #3). I've heard talk of a newer Halcyon reflector. Anyone have any info on this?

Their new lights are shipping with an extended shrowd. Not quite as huge as EKPP, but much larger than the #3. I have a pic below for your reference.

The Salco reflector is also much like the "new" Halcyon (post #3) reflectors.

All of them go dull eventually.

---
Ken

Original #3
71001693.uO36ofoM.jpg

EKPP on the right, "NEW" Halcyon (POST #3) on the left
71001352.kmuUvOV4.jpg
71001359.QWQasg1Q.jpg

All three next to each other. #3 on right, "NEW" Halcyon (Post #3) in middle, EKPP on left
71001356.YvRuChP7.jpg
71001355.MnGGAQK8.jpg

All three from the top. EKPP (left) #3 (center) "NEW" Halcyon (post #3 - Right)
71001769.LwsFDPak.640Lightheaddetailfromtop.jpg

Mo2vation:
All of them go dull eventually.
Hmmm, my old #3 Halcyon is still shiney as can be.
Thanks regardless.

What is that zip tied to the handle?

Boomer7:
Looks like an Ikelite Mini Q40 flashlight.

Ken, you like having another light strapped to your palm like that? Does it interfere with using your hands, or is it tiny enough it doesn't really get in the way?

I have a mini Q40 eLED strapped to my hog straps until I can pick up a scout or photon torpedo.

Boomer7:

Its my "critter light"

Where I dive, there are lots of Octos. I don't want to zot an octo with a 21w laser, so I put on the critter light. They also are very useful in reading my bottom timer in a white out, shining on wetnotes without getting a face full of 21w reflection off the pages, etc.

I dived with them for years. Never got in the way, no worries.

However, I have since figured out that if I lace my hand over the light head and let just a couple of streams filter through my fingers, I get about the same effect - meaning I won't fry an Octo's eyes. So I do that now and leave the critter lights at home.

BTW - I've tried about everything you can try to clean these reflectors (WD40, Lemon Juice, Cymbal Cleaner, Car Polish) - there's a whole thread on this I ran through on SB not too long ago - I couldf find nothing that would work to bring them back.

---
Ken

Very interesting!!!!

Mo2vation:
Its my "critter light"

Where I dive, there are lots of Octos. I don't want to zot an octo with a 21w laser, so I put on the critter light. They also are very useful in reading my bottom timer in a white out, shining on wetnotes without getting a face full of 21w reflection off the pages, etc.

I dived with them for years. Never got in the way, no worries.

However, I have since figured out that if I lace my hand over the light head and let just a couple of streams filter through my fingers, I get about the same effect - meaning I won't fry an Octo's eyes. So I do that now and leave the critter lights at home.

BTW - I've tried about everything you can try to clean these reflectors (WD40, Lemon Juice, Cymbal Cleaner, Car Polish) - there's a whole thread on this I ran through on SB not too long ago - I couldf find nothing that would work to bring them back.

---
Ken

Boomer7:
Where did the pictures go? Now htat I know what I am looking at I want another look.

Something about SB doesn't play nice with PBase.

When you get the red X of death, right click and select "show picture".

I got the Critter Light idea from Uncle Pug.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
...muriatic acid? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom