Egypt suspends diving activities in Ras Mohammed after shark attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The attack was on snorkelers at Shark&Yolanda reef. Given the sharp decrease in boat activity in the area it's no surprise that larger fish (in this case oceanic whitetip) come much closer to shore. Then you have inexperienced snorkelers splashing near the surface while herded in groups around some buoy and...

IIRC, past shark attacks on snorkelers in that area were believed to be triggered by the illegal but very common practice of feeding them by the resorts in the area in order to please the viewers on shore. Does anyone know if this practice is in place now?

It has nothing to do with the resorts, this happened in a national park located quite far from any resort. Also I'm not sure about other areas of the world but in Sharm in recent years there's no such thing as resorts feeding any fish near the resort pier. (been there 3 times just this year, last time in August) Sure, some tourist may go at night when the pier is unguarded and do something like this, but that's also rather uncommon.

The attack was on snorkelers at Shark&Yolanda reef. Given the sharp decrease in boat activity in the area it's no surprise that larger fish (in this case oceanic whitetip) come much closer to shore. Then you have inexperienced snorkelers splashing near the surface while herded in groups around some buoy and...

it's exactly what happened, I think

and stopping diving there is a stupid, no, let's say exagerated reaction of the authorities, forbidding snorkeling should be normal, not diving

I'm in Sharm right now (again :D ) and found out that after the attack they only allow diving in Shark&Yolanda (snorkeling no longer allowed). This becomes a challenge because 99% of the tourists present here right now are from Ukraine/Belarus/Kazahstan (plus very few locals) and divers among them are very rare, so finding a diver-only boat for a day dive is quite difficult.

If you mix swimming tourists, snorkelers (or inexperienced divers) with Longimanus, an accident is not unlikely to happen. This is a very curious, bold shark that will come close and sometimes even bump you. There are (normal years) thousands of encounters annually in the Egyptian Red Sea that are problem free, but with this shark (more than others in the area) you have to act and behave in a certain way, then it's very rare that accidents happen. Normally not that common around Sinai but sometimes.

There are (normal years) thousands of encounters annually in the Egyptian Red Sea that are problem free, but with this shark (more than others in the area) you have to act and behave in a certain way, then it's very rare that accidents happen..

I just booked a live aboard going to Ras Mohammed in 3 weeks time, you got my attention!! And How exactly is one supposed to behave to avoid unfriendly responses ? :jaws:

You may also read through this one. The report from the incident at Elphinstone involving that diver from Marsa Shagra is a good one.
Although popular in the press shark attacks in the Red Sea are not that often and reporst are getting often exagerated.
A few recommendations, without claiming to be an expert. Others may certainly add more.
- listen to your guide. She/he's the one with the experience in these waters
- Stay calm, do not try to move away - remenber: no matter how fast you are, the shark is faster
- Keep eye contact
- stay upright in water, so that you give a big silouette.
- get as quick out of the water as possible, if the curious guys are still around
- no matter how near the sharks come: stay calm.
- enjoy the dive.

I just booked a live aboard going to Ras Mohammed in 3 weeks time, you got my attention!! And How exactly is one supposed to behave to avoid unfriendly responses ? :jaws:

Talk to your dive guide, they should have a protocol. But generally what @JustSurfaceInterval wrote:

Stay calm, no erratic movements, waving, flapping legs and arms
Face the shark all the time
Stay vertical
Keep arms and hands to yourself, don't try to "hit the shark on the nose", a gentle push if it tries to bump you

And TBH, this time of year they are less common in Egypt and they are also a rare sight in RasMo. So I'd safely bet on that you won't even see one. But you never know...

Back
Top Bottom