Effingham, Illinios area????????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stingray1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi, is there anyone from the Effingham, ILL area on here? I found a nice abondoned rock quarry with a max depth of about 54 ft and fairly clear water. I dived it about a week ago and had a good 15 to 20 ft of vis. I have seen it better at other times. It had just been through a severe storm on this last time that I dived it though. I've got a free afternoon and I can not find anyone to dive with that is local. I need to expand my dive buddy list badly if for no other reason than like today.

stingray1:
Hi, is there anyone from the Effingham, ILL area on here? I found a nice abondoned rock quarry with a max depth of about 54 ft and fairly clear water. I dived it about a week ago and had a good 15 to 20 ft of vis. I have seen it better at other times. It had just been through a severe storm on this last time that I dived it though. I've got a free afternoon and I can not find anyone to dive with that is local. I need to expand my dive buddy list badly if for no other reason than like today.

Is that Brickyard Quarry in St.Elmo? I have heard about it, but have never been there. I wouldnt mind checking it out sometime.

diverbob:
Is that Brickyard Quarry in St.Elmo? I have heard about it, but have never been there. I wouldnt mind checking it out sometime.

Afraid that this one isn't. It's a private quarry owned by an oil company and it's about 5 times wider then Mermet. It's by invite only, not open to the general public. I went through a lot to get to go in there. This is why I'm not posting the location. I'd be glad to have you met me in say St. Elmo and we can drive over to it.
The Brickyard is there on the edge of St. Elmo and it's not too bad of a place. The vis isn't real good right now though. It isn't for about two weeks after a rain. Then it clears up. I'd need advance notice to dive there because, I would have to go to Effingham and get the gate key from on of the staff members or the owner of Omni Scuba.

stingray1:
Afraid that this one isn't. It's a private quarry owned by an oil company and it's about 5 times wider then Mermet. It's by invite only, not open to the general public. I went through a lot to get to go in there. This is why I'm not posting the location. I'd be glad to have you met me in say St. Elmo and we can drive over to it.
The Brickyard is there on the edge of St. Elmo and it's not too bad of a place. The vis isn't real good right now though. It isn't for about two weeks after a rain. Then it clears up. I'd need advance notice to dive there because, I would have to go to Effingham and get the gate key from on of the staff members or the owner of Omni Scuba.

That sounds like an idea. I will keep this in mind for future dives. I already have the next 3, maybe 4 weeks planned out already.

I drive through Effingham every couple weeks going from Springfield down to KY, so I could probably meet up for a dive. In fact I might be able to pull something off next week possibly.

What is in the quarry, any equipment, buildings, basement, etc.

crawford:
I drive through Effingham every couple weeks going from Springfield down to KY, so I could probably meet up for a dive. In fact I might be able to pull something off next week possibly.

What is in the quarry, any equipment, buildings, basement, etc.

I've only dived it a few times and because of it's size I've come no where near searching all of it by myself. So I'm not sure what is all in it. I do know that somewhere there is a sunk boat.
I'll put you on my buddy list and let me know when you plan on coming through and we'll see if we can meet up. Deal?

diverbob:
That sounds like an idea. I will keep this in mind for future dives. I already have the next 3, maybe 4 weeks planned out already.

Bob Let me know when you want to come this away and we'll go dive it.

Stingray,

I'm one state over, and still accumulating equipment - but put me on your list... sounds like an adventure (and a good secret spot - shhhhhhhhhhhh!) :)

Jmaserati:
Stingray,

I'm one state over, and still accumulating equipment - but put me on your list... sounds like an adventure (and a good secret spot - shhhhhhhhhhhh!) :)

Your added. Just give me a holler when you get your gear together. I dive year round.

that there is no one from the Effingham, IL area on this board.
Are all divers as reclusive as the ones that I know are around here. I didn't think so. Most of the divers that I know are friendly and always looking for a chance to dive with someone or to just get wet. I know from talking to a few people that there are some in my area, I just don't know them or haven't met them yet. That's one of the reasons that I'm on here, to find Buddies for that unplanned late afternoon (quick) quarry dive without having to travel several hours or spend a wad of money to get there or to stay a weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom