Effects of Diving on Pregnancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I am a newly married woman, and I really fond of diving at any atmosphere. But I am afraid will it affect for my liking to have a child early in my married life? By husband badly need a kid as soon as possible. What should I do? I couldn’t give up either activity.
Please guide me to take the correct decision….

Don't dive while you're pregnant. The information you need is pretty well outlined in the thread above.

HELLO LADIES : first of all i want to ask that what is the most valuable thing ......the baby in ur belly or diving ...... please dont take chance......

Ashamed to say but going to in case it helps; I did not know I was pregnant (on the pill) and I was a DM so I was diving a lot (to depths to 80' or so). One day I became really sick on the boat which never happened and somehow it led me to a pregnancy test. As soon as I realized I was with child I stopped immediately! It just isn't worth the risk (although I was diving exactly 6 weeks after I had my child!!). My son came out just fine and does not seem to have any issues because of it. He is addicted to the water though! And he loves the idea of SCUBA and when he is old enough/mature enough he wants to dive!! But seriously, don't risk it ladies; a child is the greatest gift you can have (I used to think it was my dive gear)! Happy and safe diving to all and happy child-bearing if relevant!

I wouldn't risk it. A 10-month hiatus isn't that bad.

Ashamed to say but going to in case it helps; I did not know I was pregnant (on the pill) and I was a DM so I was diving a lot (to depths to 80' or so). One day I became really sick on the boat which never happened and somehow it led me to a pregnancy test. As soon as I realized I was with child I stopped immediately! It just isn't worth the risk (although I was diving exactly 6 weeks after I had my child!!). My son came out just fine and does not seem to have any issues because of it. He is addicted to the water though! And he loves the idea of SCUBA and when he is old enough/mature enough he wants to dive!! But seriously, don't risk it ladies; a child is the greatest gift you can have (I used to think it was my dive gear)! Happy and safe diving to all and happy child-bearing if relevant!

how long into the pregnancy were you diving until you realised??

According to ACOG guidelines it is not recommended to scuba dive during pregnancy due to the fact that nitrogen bubbles form much easier in a fetus. There were no randomised studies or clinical trials or any kind of advanced research (at least I don't about such research).
What would nitrogen bubbles lead to in a fetus? In early pregnancy I think it might lead to a miscarriage most likely or a missed abortion. Later on it could lead to malformations.
Of course the fetus is on increased risk, so there might be a chance that in a specific case none of the above will happen. But I wouldn't take that chance. In case something goes wrong I could never forgive myself.

Just to be on the safe side, I didn't dive all throughout the duration of both my pregnancies, my practitioner said, there are no studies that indicate that diving can be hurtful but this is considered a rigorous activity similar to weightlifting. She said it would be best to save all the urges to dive after giving birth, as soon as I recovered.

As a general orientation to diving while pregnant, see:

Diving & Pregnancy
Doc Vikingo's Pregnancy & Diving

More recently, the following study concludes:

"J Obstet Gynaecol. 2006 Aug;26(6):509-13.

Scuba diving and pregnancy: can we determine safe limits?

St Leger Dowse M, Gunby A, Moncad R, Fife C, Bryson P.

Diving Diseases Research Centre, Hyperbaric Medical Centre, Plymouth, UK. marguerite@mstld.co.uk

No human data, investigating the effects on the fetus of diving, have been published since 1989. We investigated any potential link between diving while pregnant and fetal abnormalities by evaluating field data from retrospective study No.1 (1990/2) and prospective study No.2 (1996/2000). Some 129 women reported 157 pregnancies over 1,465 dives. Latest gestational age reported while diving was 35 weeks. One respondent reported 92 dives during a single pregnancy, with two dives to 65 m in the 1st trimester. In study No.2 >90% of women ceased diving in the 1st trimester, compared with 65% in the earlier study. Overall, the women did not conduct enough dives per pregnancy, therefore no significant correlation between diving and fetal abnormalities could be established. These data indicate women are increasingly observing the diving industry recommendation and refraining from diving while pregnant. Field studies are not likely to be useful, or the way forward, for future diving and pregnancy research. Differences in placental circulation between humans and other animals limit the applicability of animal research for pregnancy and diving studies. It is unlikely that the effect of scuba diving on the unborn human fetus will be established."

Why risk it?

Regards,

DocVikingo

During my DM internship in the Philippines I met a local girl who was pregnant in the 8th month. She was married to a local fishermen and went speer fishing with him almost everyday. I accompanied them one day. We went down to almost 20 m with her belly. Few weeks later she gave birth to a healthy baby.

Back
Top Bottom