Effects of Diving on Pregnancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gene_Hobbs

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Kent MB (ed). Effects of Diving on Pregnancy. 19th Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society Workshop. UHMS Publication Number 36(EDP)1-31-80. Bethesda: Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society; 1978; 13 pages. RRR ID: 4250

Recommendations:
1. There is no contraindication to diving for the normal, healthy non-pregnant female. The same general health criteria should apply to both male and female divers.
2. The fetus may be at greater risk than the diving mother. The potential risk primarily consists of decompression sickness, but hyperoxia, hypoxia, hypercapnia and asphyxia may also be involved.
3. There is insufficient experimental evidence at this time to establish diving depth and time profiles that are definitely not hazardous to the human fetus. Although a large number of women have dived while pregnant, results of epidemiological studies on the fetal effects of these dives on the fetuses have not yet been thoroughly analyzed.
4. The number of unanswered questions about the effects of diving on the human fetus should encourage physicians to inform their patients of the potential risks and to advise them to act in the most conservative manner.
5. Pregnant women who choose to dive against medical advice should be informed that the potential risk to the fetus apparently increases as the no-decompression limits are approached, as the oxygen tension of the inspired gas increases, and perhaps also as a function of other factors that remain unidentified.
6. Until further studies are made, we recommend that women who are pregnant not dive.

Fife W (ed). Women in Diving. 35th Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society Workshop. UHMS Publication Number 71(WS-WD)3-15-87. Bethesda: Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society; 1987; 162 pages. RRR ID: 4251
---Chapter on 'Pregnancy and Diving' by Lanphier

DAN FAQ Number 103

I am 15 weeks pregnant. Due to an ovarian condition amongst other things i did not realise.
I was diving continously up to 13 weeks. i completed over 120 dives in this time.
I have had a scan and everything is fine at the moment. What are the other risks? could it possibly have any mental/physical problems?

Thanks

Hannah

Diving habits and obstetric course of pregnant scuba divers.
Bolton, 1979 MS thesis to the University of Florida
RRR ID: 4879

Thanks to Shellie Foss for her assistance in securing this addition to the collection.

As a general orientation to diving while pregnant, see:

Diving & Pregnancy
Doc Vikingo's Pregnancy & Diving

More recently, the following study concludes:

"J Obstet Gynaecol. 2006 Aug;26(6):509-13.

Scuba diving and pregnancy: can we determine safe limits?

St Leger Dowse M, Gunby A, Moncad R, Fife C, Bryson P.

Diving Diseases Research Centre, Hyperbaric Medical Centre, Plymouth, UK. marguerite@mstld.co.uk

No human data, investigating the effects on the fetus of diving, have been published since 1989. We investigated any potential link between diving while pregnant and fetal abnormalities by evaluating field data from retrospective study No.1 (1990/2) and prospective study No.2 (1996/2000). Some 129 women reported 157 pregnancies over 1,465 dives. Latest gestational age reported while diving was 35 weeks. One respondent reported 92 dives during a single pregnancy, with two dives to 65 m in the 1st trimester. In study No.2 >90% of women ceased diving in the 1st trimester, compared with 65% in the earlier study. Overall, the women did not conduct enough dives per pregnancy, therefore no significant correlation between diving and fetal abnormalities could be established. These data indicate women are increasingly observing the diving industry recommendation and refraining from diving while pregnant. Field studies are not likely to be useful, or the way forward, for future diving and pregnancy research. Differences in placental circulation between humans and other animals limit the applicability of animal research for pregnancy and diving studies. It is unlikely that the effect of scuba diving on the unborn human fetus will be established."

Why risk it?

Regards,

DocVikingo

While I admit I was only freediving and underwater in my pool during my pregnancy I can honestly say I personally was in /under water almost every day until about 3 weeks before my due date with all four of my children now aged 17,13,11,and 8. All are healthy & happy children, but then again, this was something I was doing 3 years before I had them too. But that's just my own experience

Powell MR, Smith MT.Fetal and maternal bubbles detected noninvasively in sheep and goats following hyperbaric decompression. Undersea Biomed Res. 1985 Mar;12(1):59-67.
RRR ID: 3034

regardless... staying on the safe side, I always teach my students not to dive while pregnant as there are nothing proves that the baby can not be hurt... so, giving up 9 months of diving in increasing the chances of a healthy child sounds a small price to pay. I love the water and will swim every day as I think water is good... but not dive.

Such a tough subject since there isn't a lot of evidence out there. I would imagine there are quite a few women who may be diving during the early part of their first trimester and don't even realize they are pregnant. I wonder if studies following those women retrospectively may be more helpful. I am guessing there isn't a lot out there as diving is a relatively new sport and still more male dominated. (at least where I live). If I knew I was pregnant I would probably stop diving till after delivery. Kind of a bummer but rather be safe than sorry.

Hannahwa,

Can you please help us we are currently in the situation you were in April of 2007. All the rhetoric online is not helping us mentally right now. Did you complete the pregnancy? Any problems?

My wife has dives to 150 ft and 13 dives below 100 feet during the first trimester.

Well I am a newly married woman, and I really fond of diving at any atmosphere. But I am afraid will it affect for my liking to have a child early in my married life? By husband badly need a kid as soon as possible. What should I do? I couldn’t give up either activity.
Please guide me to take the correct decision….

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom