Eels in the Keys and Southeastern Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crass3000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Been getting REALLY into photographing different moray, snake, etc eels. Thinking about hitting the area again to really look hard for eels. What type of eels have you seen or know to exist in the Keys or from Ft. Lauderdale/Pompano up to possibly Jupiter?

Saw 1 big green moray at the 'Scarface' reef on one of my 10 dives in Jupiter.

Saw a number of green morays over 20 dives in Key Largo; 4 of the dives were deep wrecks where I didn't see them, so the several were out of 16 reef dives.

I didn't keep up with the spotted morays or sharp-tail eels.

Richard.

Green moray
Spotted moray
Goldspotted moray
Purplemouth moray
Chain moray

Sharp tailed eel
Key worm eel
Garden eels
I have seen a couple other kinds of snake eels

I have seen pics of stout moray eels but they are deep

Thanks for all the info. I've been looking to plan trips but gear and medical bills (still beating cancer after 6 years) have been getting in the way. I'm definitely hitting Florida for the Goliath Grouper breeding this year to hopefully get some great pics. I am planning on the Blue Heron Bridge too as I have never dove there for some dumb reason. I seem to make it to Florida and to somewhere else tropical each year (all the money I can save goes to scuba).

FWIW I've seen the following:
Green moray
Spotted moray
Goldspotted moray (or Goldspotted snake eel depending on what book you see it in) I saw one in Bonaire but didn't have my camera put together and I was too excited diving that I never took the time to put it together as I thought I would be in a hurry and screw something up. First trip ever and had just bought the camera set-up). Really want to get a pic of this guy!!! The one I saw seemed pretty aggressive as the closer I got to it, the more it came closer to me.

Purplemouth moray
Goldentail moray (want to get some more pics as I just got the head - no tail)
Sharptail eel (again have seen them but want some pics)
Manytooth conger eel (even got a picture of it eating)

Really excited to get pictures of any I haven't photographed or just better pics. Not to mention excited to get pictures of lots of other things on my wish list.

So glad to hear you are kicking cancer's A-- :D

Good luck with the photos. Be sure to post some here for us!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom