Editing video / Color correction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jalvare2

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I been doing some UW videos and have used Pinnacle studio and Roxxio software to edit, but I would like to know what other software are you using.
For above surface there is not much need for color correction, but as you know for UW even you use filter and WB adjustments or slate, if you have no strobes you may need to adjust your works on the computer, so what are you using, I am tired purchasing pinnacle's keys for every trick.
:coffee:
thanks.

I use Adobe Premiere 6.0 and Premiere Elements 3.0 as well as Vegas Movie Studio. I get sufficient color correction capabilities with those products to make my unlighted video footage look acceptable. However, I use video lights whenever possible since I film mostly close up.

I use Sony Vegas almost exclusively now. I have used Canopus as well as Premiere. I just got the new Sony Vegas which works in 32bit floating point. Color correction and manipulation is now MUCH cleaner than before.

I use Pinnacle Studio 9.something. Color Correction works pretty well about 30 feet and above, due to still having available ambient sunlight and good viz, like here

Fort Lauderdale Eel Reef Dive

Below 40 or 50, color correction does clean up the video, but you are losing so much sunlight down there, everything is still blue or green like here at 65 feet

Joe's Tug

Both of these were made with Pinnacle.

Also, listen to The Underwater Videographer Podcast at Underwater Videographer. I do the Beginner's Minute and I was thinking of recording a minute on Monday night about this very subject.

Pinnacle Studio 10 Plus. Still going with no additional purchase.

Hi,

I been doing some UW videos and have used Pinnacle studio and Roxxio software to edit, but I would like to know what other software are you using.
For above surface there is not much need for color correction, but as you know for UW even you use filter and WB adjustments or slate, if you have no strobes you may need to adjust your works on the computer, so what are you using, I am tired purchasing pinnacle's keys for every trick.
thanks.

this has been discussed quite a bit here already but here we go again -
What water conditions? How deep? Light quality?
What camcorder?
Are you using a red filter? (this really is necessary if deeper than 10')
Lights?

I have just downloaded Sony vegas ,I will try it later this week.
-regarding the podcats I found it really interesting. I will hear all the files.

Robint,
thanks, I been filming in the sea of cortez, kind of a green water rather than blue like in the caribeann, I use red filter below 10ft. with ikelite housing with Sony DCR-DVD300 DVD.
and no lights. But I am in talks with santa, because I think a strobe set will look very nice under the tree this christmas.

Hi,

thanks.

Actually, there is quite a bit of use for above ground color correction. Sometimes you may want to replace the gray, overcast sky with a nice blue one, especially if you are trying to match one video clip to another, shot on different days, in order to maintain continuity for your viewer. I have also had to shoot in lower light, increasing the brightness in post and adjusting the color saturation to maintain continuity with other clips.

I use Adobe Premiere Pro for editing and basic color correction, and Adobe After Effects for more involved or selective color correction, such as adjusting color to just one area of the field of view. But I am just getting started in underwater videography and have not yet shot underwater. I am looking forward to it.

Maybe late next month, I am hoping......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom