Editing software?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ave computer/software and camera lasts a few years. Add it up and divide by the number of projects. -It'll be disgusting. Go from there. Macs and good software will do the same job for -what? 10-20 times more? If you can afford it or you want to make a name for yourself start anywhere and end up with the good stuff. If you think any of this is pricey just remember before NLEs the hardware to make a dissolve was $50-100 grand. I have been using pinnacle since they were miro on a 486dx33 -my opinion is just tolerable -easy, descent for normal stuff -your screwed if you have problems. Don't count on them for ANY help or support -if you have problems uninstall what you can -get your money back, take you computer out back and shoot it. SAVE your projects often -alot! Use very normal hardware (no, you don't need 4 gigs of ram, if the puppy will run the op system it will edit video -where do these people come from?? one of my better stable machines is an xp dell p3 733 -yes a bit more is better, my p4 2.4 is plenty fast and a dual core that is a dog). Very quickly Mbs turned into Gbs and will soon turn into Tbs. -Pbs anybody?

I am not a PC person, never have been. Before FCP, I used a borrowed Media 100 system for one film but in those days we didn't have access to NLEs. Everything was a combo of hi end SVHS decks, mixers, character generators and such that made up linear systems. As processor speed has increased, so has the need for additional ram, so I would have to disagree with you there. Also the software has become more demanding as well. Of course, ram has dropped very significantly in price so that is not much of an issue but to infer that one NLE is as good as another can be misleading. It is plainly not the case. Yes, Avid may be as good as FCP but you couldn't compare the quality of either to some cheapo editing software that many go for $50 online. In any NLE you seek flexibility and stability. I suppose it depends upon an individuals editing and film aspirations but why frustrate oneself on a guitar with a 1" high action rather than a Martin D28 that makes learning so much easier and more rewarding?
Steve

Back
Top Bottom