Editing RAW Pictures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is right off the photobucket exf data:

File size: 297662 bytes
File date: 2006-10-23 04-06-59
Camera make: OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
Camera model: SP350
Date/Time: 2006/10/06
Resolution: 800 x 600
Flash used: No
Focal length: 8.0mm
Exposure time: 0.0010 s (1/1000)
Aperture: f/8.0
ISO equiv.: 200
Whitebalance: Manual
Metering Mode: matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Auto bracketing

I should have better luck this weekend on the Sheridan I hope. I have really read through the manual alot more and tried alot of different settings comparing them side by side to see how each seettng affects the shot. Atleast I'm getting to know the camera better now.

that is strange... I wouldn't have expected so much noise from ISO200. It must have been pretty bright that 1/1000s shutter was used with a relatively narrow aperture setting of f/8.

Out of curiousity How deep were you when you took that pic?

edit: or was the pic so dark that when you try to up the exposure, that created all the noise?

pakman:
edit: or was the pic so dark that when you try to up the exposure, that created all the noise?

That's where I was going ..............

I have done the same thing ie. created noise on a way underexposed pic in my post dive processing.

rhyz , try the following settings - ISO 100 , shutter 1/125 and aperture around f 4.5
Take a shot underwater , review the picture right there . If it looks too dark select the next lowest f no , if it looks too bright then go one f no. higher. Continue till you get the exposure right. Remember you also have an exposure meter on your LCD when taking pictures in manual mode. I usually go for a value of -0.3 ie slightly underexposed .

Take lots of topside pictures (you seem to be doing that anyway) under different lighting conditions - indoor shots can roughly emulate lower lighting conditions underwater.

ROFL....oh yes it was dark. I didn't fully understand shooting in RAW mode. My think was, switch to RAW and shot. No adjustments need to be changed because I can do it all on the pc. Wrong. I learned that one and have been practicing alot now on topside, inside pictures to get a "feel" for it. Hopefully I'm getting better, and yes when I'm shooting RAW and actually using the adjustments I can see how people love shooting in RAW mode. Because the pictures come out brillant! Win some and you lose some.

Here is the original jpeg that was shot with the RAW: :11: :11: :11: :11: :11:

P1010044-copy.jpg

OMG :confused:

pakman:
that is strange... I wouldn't have expected so much noise from ISO200. It must have been pretty bright that 1/1000s shutter was used with a relatively narrow aperture setting of f/8.

Out of curiousity How deep were you when you took that pic?

If a digital image is underexposed (as I suspect this one was based on the settings), bringing it back is going to result in noise, and artifacts. The more underexpose the image, the more noise will be introduced. This is the reason that while it's better to error on the side of underexposure with digital, the *best* solution is to get it right.

Edit: did not see the above shot until after the post... YEAH dude, that is ONE underexposed image! :D That explains why your RAW images looked like DoggyDoDo!

Keep it up rhyz , you will get there soon . Nice to see you doing your homework , unlike some fellow divers at my local club who expect "handouts" all the time.

I quess I should have know by the jpeg in the monitor, but once again thought "its okay I'm shooting RAW" ROFL. :D Thank god for rechargable batteries.....:coffee:

Oh the depth was about 40fsw, partly cloudy day in Aruba.

It's pretty amazing what you can do with a RAW image to save it, but getting it close to start with is the solution. One thing you might try is instead of going full manual, maybe try a few shots on "S" mode. Set the shutter speed fast enough to prevent blur and see what the camera does with the Aperture and ISO. Then you can try setting the aperture and watching the shutter speed. If you're getting good pictures, this will give you a starting point for similar conditions next time.

Back
Top Bottom