Edge vs. HOG service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But there is nothing that absolutely prohibits selling kits to anyone. There are recommendations to be sure. But I have customers in Australia and Singapore that want to buy a couple kits along with the reg they have just got so I will not tell them no.

They have techs that are willing to do the work if they can get parts so I sell them the parts. And HOG has been good about supplying tech help to these guys when that's the case. And if the diver has been doing his own regs for years and knows his stuff and has all the tools I'm not going to refuse him service either.

Now the training for divers does not authorize them to service regs for anyone else. I make that clear when fielding queries about taking the class. When I teach a reg tech class it is for the diver only. But we all know that a lot of divers are cheap buggers and if their buddy offers to do it for 20 bucks or a six pack they are liable to take them up on it.

One of the requirments for the class is to have their own reg and the kits to service it. So I have to sell someone a kit who is going to take the class. If they then decide they don't want to I can't ask for the kit back, can I?

Agree that servicing regs for others without proper training is not wise, but like doing the brakes for your neighbor cause you've been doing your own for years is not criminal or against the law.

Opens you up legally but that is a risk that the person doing the work takes and so does the neighbor. Does not prevent Autozone from selling the pads to anyone who walks in. And there is far more risk there. A badly serviced reg may kill the diver. Bad brakes could wipe out a family or two.

DRIS, TDL, DGE, and myself all sell kits to anyone who places an order for them. They have a little different web set ups than I do so on theirs you can add kits right in your cart. On mine they just have to ask.

What is the Secret Lore imparted in the service class? Is it something so idiosyncratic and obscure about servicing HOG and EDGE regulators that maybe I shouldn't have bought them?

PS: I put my whole car together so it's not JUST the innocent-family-destroying-brakes that are suspect.

Well since I am a Hog dealer I don't have to ask. I know what company policy is, or suppose to be anyway.
Anyone who services their own regs without proper training is a danger to themselves and those they dive with. Anyone who services regs for others without proper training is borderline criminal.

I am pretty much forced to service my regulators without proper training (or put them in the trash). Scubapro stopped supporting the Pilot quite some time ago and it is just about impossible to find a qualified tech never mind an authorized provider of training on them.

Some of you guys really need to come off this nonsense.

Reactions: Jax
... Anyone who services their own regs without proper training is a danger to themselves and those they dive with. Anyone who services regs for others without proper training is borderline criminal.

Proper training is the magic word. I read both regulator bibles cover to cover, I bugged all the kind and knowledgeable folks on this board for months, and finally I could declare myself fit to take my destiny into my own hands. How about that compared to the regular 1 day beer included training for shops?

And how do you call shops that collect money and in return deliver crappy service? Crooks?

I am sorry but if you have to ask this question about basic regulator construction should you be servicing your own regs?

This is kind of harsh and assumes that which is not in evidence. The OP said he wants the ability to service his own regs. I did not read that the OP was not interested in training / learning how to do it properly & safely. The first step in learning is to expose your ignorance by asking questions. Would you rather people NOT ask questions?

Proper training is the magic word.

Well................it's actually two words,.... and I'm not sure they add up to more than the sum of their parts.

I'm thinking ....."mean nuns with sticks."

Last edited:
I am pretty much forced to service my regulators without proper training (or put them in the trash). Scubapro stopped supporting the Pilot quite some time ago and it is just about impossible to find a qualified tech never mind an authorized provider of training on them.

Some of you guys really need to come off this nonsense.
The Pilot is a BCD!

I think I understand the difficult position the scuba industry is in, they are the unwilling subjects of the insurance companies and trial lawyers so it's understandable that they resent the DIYer that spits in the face of their masters.

---------- Post Merged at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:31 PM ----------

The Pilot is a BCD!

Scubapro Pilot
Pilot 10.jpg

Sorry, stand corrected!

I am sorry but if you have to ask this question about basic regulator construction should you be servicing your own regs?
Well, if it's such a basic question, then you should know the answer. What's the difference between the Edge and the HOG regulator? Clearly the manufacturer thinks there is some difference. If they are essentially the same (which I suspect to be true) then the answer is a far more difficult marketing/legal response which isn't very basic is it?

Back
Top Bottom