Edge Epic 12 deserves same attention as HOG...My thoughts on both.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbarnett51

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The gear monkey got me and I decided to try out Edge/HOG regs. I kept reading all the comments on HOG and had to see what all the fuss was about. After talking to Chris(I think he is the owner) I decided to get the Edge Epic 12 coldwater and Octo set from Jim Lapenta on SB. Right about that time Dive Right In had a great deal on a HOG with the Edge Yoke first stage. So what the heck,, I ordered that as well.

The reason I am posting this is bc I see sooooo many rec divers trying to make HOG into what they want/need...using the din/yoke adaptor, adding miflex hoses, etc... I can say for certain that the Edge line(which is HOGs rec line) is exactly what these ppl need! I have been diving the HOG all week until I got here to Orange Beach and then I switched to the Epics. Today I did two wrecks with a max of 119'. The Epics breath every bit as good as the HOGs and the configuration is as comfortable as you can get. They come with miflex type hoses(not actually miflex but same concept) and a swivel. The second stage is slightly lighter than the HOGs and all of this combined makes for a first class setup. I really was blown away by the breathability of these regs. Very very nice,

EDGE/HOG have done exactly what should be done. They designed the HOGs for Tec and the Edge for rec. The HOG seconds are a little bulkier and a suspect a little more durable. They have more metal parts such as the adjustment knob and surrounding the face plate. The face plate is hard platstic with a purge button in the middle. They appear to be very well made and tough..exactly what tec divers want. The Epics are also very well made but they dont have the metal parts. The adjustment knobs are plastic, the face plate is plastic and the purge is a soft rubber. All of this makes for a lighter, more comfortable reg(atleast in my mouth). The breathability was equally impressive on both HOG and EDGE. They both have Venturi levers as well as full adjustability on the second stages.

So I guess my point is to give a review of these regs but also to tell the rec divers(the large majority of certified divers) to forget about HOG and get the Edge Epic. They are setup perfect for rec divers and perform as good as the top of the line major brand regs IMO. These regs were designed for two different types of diving but both are equally fit for the type of diving they were designed for. I am now a big fan of EDGE.

Thanks so much for the great review , you hit the nail exactly on the head, EDGE/HOG has spent a lot of time trying to design products to fit the most exact needs of each distinct market and the performance if great in both line ups, but with very different design focus. On another note we just received in the New TiExtreme Balanced Piston, Balanced Adjustable 2nd Stage Titanium regulators, which are the best deal in diving, and they are amazing for recreational use (a game changer), dealers should be receiving them now so check these out as well. As always EDGE/HOG will continue to strive to design and provide unique performance and value based products to both the recreational and tech markets but they are slightly different markets so the lineups will likely remain slightly different. I have both EDGE and HOG (Obviously) and like both for their specific uses but really prefer the EDGE features for my recreational diving.

I just wanted to add that I dove the Oriskany last week and opted to use the Edge Regs. I went to 130' which is obviously the recommended max for rec divers. The Epic breathes flawlessly throughout all depths to this limit.

These are my new favorites.

I work at a dive shop which uses the Edge EXP 1st/2nd and Escape Octo's as our rental gear, which were a big upgrade from our previous rental equipment, and I have heard our customers raving about their light breathing effort ever since. I will admit that the Epics and EXPs breathe as well as many top of the line regs (including my own SP regs), and are a great buy for any recreational diver. Edge has been impressing my customers and myself more and more with their entire new line, and I'd love to get a chance to try out that new Ti Extreme you were talking about! Just figured I'd throw my input out there since I had some first hand experience, hope this helps :)

Can't wait to get my Epic 12 and Escape setup to try out.

Several guys I know have now switched to Edge. I'm kind of hoping my LDS will become a dealer. They sell AL almost exclusively. If more and more customers are using them then maybe they will consider it. I really think the line would kill it. Sooooooo much more bang for your buck over AL and Apeks.

I look forward to hearing more about the Ti Extreme. Would love to actually see one but living in Colorado the nearest dealer is almost 500 miles away.... Maybe I'll have to buy two (one for my son) and one for me to take around to all these diveshops from NM, Colorado and Wy and let them try em out themselves. Maybe once they try em, they'll start carrying them.

Back
Top Bottom