Eating without Breaking the Bank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am feeling a need for an update to this thread. Testudo has a great guide on eats, but restaurants close and new ones open. What's new for food on Grand Cayman? I know Roland retired (again). This makes me very sad… Anything new that's a "can't miss"? Thanks!

I am feeling a need for an update to this thread. Testudo has a great guide on eats, but restaurants close and new ones open. What's new for food on Grand Cayman? I know Roland retired (again). This makes me very sad… Anything new that's a "can't miss"? Thanks!

A couple more for East End:

- Southcoast Bar and Grill (near the Lighthouse restaurant), reasonably priced selection of fresh fish and other local fare (new management/chef)
- Tukka at happy hour (3-6 M-F), discounts on drinks and tapa size portions of items including salmon sliders, lion fish tacos, etc.
- The beach bar at the Reef, good burgers, jerk chicken wraps, fish tacos, etc.
- Italian Kitchen (across from the Reef), can get pricey depending on what you order, but they also have very good pizza
- Bombay Chopsticks (near Ocean Frontiers), fairly basic selection of Indian/Asian food, but everything is well prepared; restaurant is very small so we've always just done carry-out
- Subway (at the Reef), personally never been there but figured I should put it on the list :wink:
- Vivine's Kitchen (just a bit east of Ocean Frontiers/Compass Point), local food (and yes, it's made in Vivine's kitchen
- Over the Edge (on the road to Rum Point in Old Man Bay), only been there for breakfast a number of times but I've always heard good things about their other menu items also; reasonable prices
- and lastly .... coming soon! (I hope!!!): Eagle Ray's Bar and Grill at Ocean Frontiers; permits are all done and menu is ready; food by Chef Ron of Tukka; anticipated opening April 2013

ETA: Oh, and don't forget Miss Kay's fish fry near the Texaco station on Sunday. Also, Captain Herman's fish fry has finally opened at his new location near the Blow Holes; open Tues/Sat/Sun.

A couple more for East End:

- Southcoast Bar and Grill (near the Lighthouse restaurant), reasonably priced selection of fresh fish and other local fare (new management/chef)
- Tukka at happy hour (3-6 M-F), discounts on drinks and tapa size portions of items including salmon sliders, lion fish tacos, etc.
- The beach bar at the Reef, good burgers, jerk chicken wraps, fish tacos, etc.
- Italian Kitchen (across from the Reef), can get pricey depending on what you order, but they also have very good pizza
- Bombay Chopsticks (near Ocean Frontiers), fairly basic selection of Indian/Asian food, but everything is well prepared; restaurant is very small so we've always just done carry-out
- Subway (at the Reef), personally never been there but figured I should put it on the list :wink:
- Vivine's Kitchen (just a bit east of Ocean Frontiers/Compass Point), local food (and yes, it's made in Vivine's kitchen
- Over the Edge (on the road to Rum Point in Old Man Bay), only been there for breakfast a number of times but I've always heard good things about their other menu items also; reasonable prices
- and lastly .... coming soon! (I hope!!!): Eagle Ray's Bar and Grill at Ocean Frontiers; permits are all done and menu is ready; food by Chef Ron of Tukka; anticipated opening April 2013

ETA: Oh, and don't forget Miss Kay's fish fry near the Texaco station on Sunday. Also, Captain Herman's fish fry has finally opened at his new location near the Blow Holes; open Tues/Sat/Sun.
Thanks for the new info! How is Miss Kay's? Is it strictly fish? I'm looking forward to trying Captain Herman's. Unfortunately for us, we will not be able to partake at Eagle Ray's on our next trip (feb).
Here's a little more info on a couple East End places: South Coast has some of the least expensive food on the island. Burgers for $7-$8 CI. I can vouch for Over the Edge. Their lunch selections are delicious!

Thanks for the new info! How is Miss Kay's? Is it strictly fish? I'm looking forward to trying Captain Herman's. Unfortunately for us, we will not be able to partake at Eagle Ray's on our next trip (feb).
Here's a little more info on a couple East End places: South Coast has some of the least expensive food on the island. Burgers for $7-$8 CI. I can vouch for Over the Edge. Their lunch selections are delicious!

Miss Kay usually offers a selection of whole snapper, grouper, wahoo, mahi mahi, conch fritters, barracuda (eat at your own risk), and shrimp (sometimes) with fried plantains, cooked spicy onions, and fritters (not sure what these are really called but they taste kind of like donuts). There are picnic tables on the beach and the bar next door offers table service (alcoholic/non-alcoholic beverages). It's a Sunday ritual for us. The whole snapper is $12CI.

Am I confused or did there used to be other Sunday neighborhood BBQ's on the south coast and East End? I seem to remember signs for them in the past, but didn't see any last year.

Dunno ... There is the BBQ in the Prospect area we see on Saturdays, if that's what you mean. And of course several Bodden Town jerk places to choose from also.

Lots of good info in this thread. As an FYI, if you don't have it already, SpotCayman has a great app for your phone that lists restaurants, dive sites, accommodations, etc.

One of our favorites when we lived in Bodden Town was the fish fry by the Texaco station. Grape Tree or Sea Grape or something like that. Reasonable, but only outside seating (on the beach) or take out. You order from the shack where they cook and you can see everything that's going on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom