Eating without Breaking the Bank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were there in December 2011 and enjoyed a nice dinner at Rackams on the water, right downtown. Entrees were aroudn $17.00 (carribbean).

We stayed at Sunset House and ate many meals at MyBar - the tacos are a great deal to share between two people - lots of food there. Indian dinners were lovely, but around $ 21.00 ish I think.

MacDonalds. They serve decent fried chicken. Perhaps better for a lunch out but it's cheap....

Good one Drew, but I wouldn't consider the Macdonalds a real "McDonalds" as in the Golden Arches....ha,ha,ha.

I think one thing that's really great about the Cayman Islands is you can eat the food and drink the water...unlike Mexico. Stay away from the really expensive places and you'll be fine, and sure it will cost you 25% more but you are not going to get sick either.
People have jobs, you don't have the begging, the locals aren't all super rich but they are industrious and mostly well educated.

I think one thing that's really great about the Cayman Islands is you can eat the food and drink the water...unlike Mexico. Stay away from the really expensive places and you'll be fine, and sure it will cost you 25% more but you are not going to get sick either.
People have jobs, you don't have the begging, the locals aren't all super rich but they are industrious and mostly well educated.

+1

We shop at the farmers markets and local groceries and eat at the restaurants locals do. The way I figure it, the slight premium we do end up paying is worth all the positive points listed above. Oh, and I never get tired of the diving. :cool2:

+1

We shop at the farmers markets and local groceries and eat at the restaurants locals do. The way I figure it, the slight premium we do end up paying is worth all the positive points listed above. Oh, and I never get tired of the diving. :cool2:

Where is the Farmers market!?

Later Mon,
Nick

Dinner here, Al Fresco, on the 7MB beach (north), romantic and not very costly. Cheaper than Calico Joe's, another good spot for a hot sandwich.

You can see the terrace in the Google Maps right to the spot. It is the cheapest 4/5 cuisine on the 7MB. Cost me less than 50CI for full dinner for two & a drink each. They have local cuisine. The Google Maps link brings you right to the spot.

Panoramio - Photo of Al Fresco from the back

Google Maps

Also, the "bar" area of the Cracked Conch, where you can do shore dives from, is reasonable.

On the East side of Georgetown are a few Jerk Chicken spots. At the supermarket you can buy "to cook" Jerk chicken. 3$ CI for a HUGE PORTION. Cook @ 300f for an hour, turning over midway, *awesome* if your condo has a BBQ.

Where is the Farmers market!?

Later Mon,
Nick

There are two we go to, one at the Grounds on Saturday morning until noon (Welcome to The Grounds Cayman ) and one at Camana Bay (Camana Bay) on Wednesday afternoons. There's also one near Bodden Town on Sundays but we've not been there yet. We'll be hitting the one at Camana Bay today. As a bonus, they've got lots of stuff going on for Earth Day.

Lots more helpful info here: Cayman Islands Dining Guide, Grand Cayman Islands restaurant guide

Great info here! Thanks everyone!

---------- Post added April 21st, 2012 at 02:59 PM ----------

Good one Drew, but I wouldn't consider the Macdonalds a real "McDonalds" as in the Golden Arches....ha,ha,ha.

I LOOOOVE Mexico and eat everything when I am there. Over 100 days there and never been sick. If I ever do get sick, it will be worth it. I'm actually not looking forward to how "civilized" GC is. Hoping the diving makes up for it!

On Wednesday before our flight back we dropped into Britannia golf course restaurant. Mon to fri lunch special was app and main for 10 ci. It was an unexpected treat. I had the conch fritters and a burger. And free wi fi. Wish I knew that earlier.

On Wednesday before our flight back we dropped into Britannia golf course restaurant. Mon to fri lunch special was app and main for 10 ci. It was an unexpected treat. I had the conch fritters and a burger. And free wi fi. Wish I knew that earlier.

Good to know! We drove through there yesterday just looking around before having lunch at Abacus. Abacus was terrific but next time we'll give the golf course restaurant a try!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom