Eating lionfish - ciguatera risk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetInPortland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This could go in any number of forums; I was prompted to write by a recent thread in the Cozumel forum on eateries and a local purveyor of lionfish.

Given that lionfish eat pretty much anything / everything, including smaller reef fish, it seems like ciguaera would be a risk, especially in larger specimens.

Any marine/medical folks out there that could offer any guidance?

This could go in any number of forums; I was prompted to write by a recent thread in the Cozumel forum on eateries and a local purveyor of lionfish.

Given that lionfish eat pretty much anything / everything, including smaller reef fish, it seems like ciguaera would be a risk, especially in larger specimens.

Any marine/medical folks out there that could offer any guidance?
I'm trying to think of a fish that we eat that doesn't eat smaller fish....tilapia?

As I understand it, it's the small reef fish that absorb the toxin, and the predators that eat those that pose risk to humans. Barracuda are the poster children for ciguatera, and many grouper are identified as well. Since lion fish are known for denuding reefs, it seemed like they could be a viable vector, but I've never heard it mentioned.

A lot of fish—208 species according to the attached—can give you ciguatera, but for many species the risk is small and the level of risk depends a lot on location. The locals will know if it's an issue.

Attachments

• cigspecies.xlsx
    15.8 KB · Views: 94
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom