eating and swimming/diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In case it wasn't clear, what I meant by a grain of truth is that some people might not feel so great if they swim laps right after a large meal,

More bunk. My niece is a Jr Olympic swimmer. I take her to practice a few times a week. All the swimmers eat before and during practice. None ever complain of "not feeling great". I spoke to their coach who had a good laugh about this nonsense. Why people keep promulgating this claptrap is beyond me. There is no "grain of truth". This is a "boulder of bullsheet".

I guess in Olympic swimming context one might want to wait some 30 minutes for the good stuff to get to the bloodstream.

Ages 16 and 19. Swimming after hours with no life guard. Personally I think that the probability that alcohol or some other chemical was a factor with at least one of them is high. If one panics and grabs the other, easy to have two fatalities.

More bunk. My niece is a Jr Olympic swimmer. I take her to practice a few times a week. All the swimmers eat before and during practice. None ever complain of "not feeling great". I spoke to their coach who had a good laugh about this nonsense. Why people keep promulgating this claptrap is beyond me. There is no "grain of truth". This is a "boulder of bullsheet".
From the links already posted in this thread:
Monday's medical myth: wait 30 minutes after eating before you swim
With any vigorous exercise after eating, there could be some discomfort such as heartburn or vomiting, caused by unexpected reflux or involuntary regurgitation. This is more likely to occur when there’s an increase in external pressure, such as while diving.
Myth or Fact: Should You Wait to Swim After Eating? | Duke Health
Your biggest danger related to eating and swimming is probably a minor cramp.
And another cite:
Exercise-induced nausea is exaggerated by eating. - PubMed - NCBI
Scores for nausea were greater during exercise at fasting state and immediately after eating than those without exercise (p<0.05 during low-intensity exercise, and p<0.01 during high-intensity exercise). Immediately after eating, scores for nausea were greater during high-intensity exercise than during low-intensity exercise (p<0.05). During high-intensity exercise, scores for nausea were greater immediately after eating than without eating (p<0.05).
It sure is nice that your niece does not experience this phenomenon in her junior Olympic swimmer class. But that has no more bearing on the existence of the phenomenon than the fact that I've never had a hangover does on whether some people might not feel so great the morning after a bender.

From the links already posted in this thread:
Monday's medical myth: wait 30 minutes after eating before you swim

Myth or Fact: Should You Wait to Swim After Eating? | Duke Health

And another cite:
Exercise-induced nausea is exaggerated by eating. - PubMed - NCBI

It sure is nice that your niece does not experience this phenomenon in her junior Olympic swimmer class. But that has no more bearing on the existence of the phenomenon than the fact that I've never had a hangover does on whether some people might not feel so great the morning after a bender.

None of your citations lend any support to the "wait 2 hours after eating before swimming" myth. Sorry, I don't drink so I can't help you with your hangover dilemma.

It sure is nice that your niece does not experience this phenomenon in her junior Olympic swimmer class.

Weirdly enough, none of those studies make me nauseous when I eat a protein bar just before hitting the pool. And somehow I never had a hangover from one or three scotches either. Ever considered it might be the "bender" bit that's actually to blame?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom