Easy shore dive near Bristol RI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Malpaso

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Want to do a familiarity dive with my g/f's (20 y/o) son before we head to the Turks in August. He's living in the Bristol, RI area. He has not dove since St Thomas/St Kitts last year at this time (where hid did exceptionally well) and has about 10 dives total since being certified last summer. He just got a new BC and computer and I'd like him to be familiar with them when we hit T&C.

I'm comfortable on my own in the water, drag the flag as instructor gofer on checkout dives, and have done a couple solos. I'm also cautious about going into an area I'm completely unfamiliar with, with someone who has relatively few dives.

A nice gradual beach entry, out to 30' or so, with no boat traffic would be ideal.

Ft. Adam's (Newport) all the way to the end. Take your 1st left when you enter Ft. Adams all the way to the end near the Eisenhower House, At the base of the Newport Bridge (Van Zandt), or even Kings Beach in Newport.

Thanks for the suggestions. We went out today, and based on yours and others, we settled on Kings as out first choice, and if too choppy, going to Ft Adams. We set the GPS for Kings Beach, and it promptly brought us to Kings Park! Headed south from there, and drove right by Ft Adams. Found out that the Newport Folk Festival was going on, and they had closed the entrance because the parking lot was full. On to Kings Beach. Only drove past it once :D since the sign reads Kings Beach fishing area. Got in and it looked perfect for what we wanted to do. Talked to a couple who were just coming out and gave us a bearing. Pretty easy entry, lots of grass at low tide, but we swam through it. Unfortunately, the viz started at about 5' and just got worse. We got about 40 minutes under before we called it quits.

I have to say I was very skeptical getting in the water since he hadn't been diving cold since his checkout dives, but he performed like a champ, especially in the conditions. We got separated three times, but he followed the plan to a T. As I was navigating and towing the flag, I just dead stopped when I couldn't see him. First time, within a few seconds he swam right over me. Second time he went up, found the flag and came down. Third time we both ended up going up and were within 15' of each other. That time we stayed up and talked about whether we wanted to do a second tank. We both decided lunch sounded better, so we went back down and went in. We were up long enough that the computers logged a second dive for us! He got used to his new gear very easily.

All in all, a typical New England dive day. Could have been better, could have been worse. We got wet and that's what we wanted. A week from right now we should be discussing two warm weather dives over some conch and rum.

Back
Top Bottom