Easy Dive in Southern Ontario with OK Visibility?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy_Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

This Friday, I am going diving with a new diver. We are looking for an easy site that currently has OK visibility. Anyone know what visibility is currently like at Welland? Innerkip? Sherkston? Gulliver's Lake?

Any info would be appreciated.

Welland is probably your best bet right now.

The Niagara river is always good...but might now be wise depending how new that diver is

Keep in mind we just had some thunderstorms roll through yesterday and that will impact viz

I would say that Gullivers is always good enough to take a new diver in. Late in the season viz can (no guarantees it will drop that far though) get down to 10' or so but it is a small, confined body of water where if you read 25' of depth you have dug and where you will never find a current. I suppose though it depends on what you are looking for. I cannot speak to the other sites listed but as I said, I would never be concerned taking a new diver to Gullivers.

Food for thought

We always recommend Gullivers to new divers. We never made it this year as our nav. course got washed out due to downed power lines.

Windmill Point Park (smaller quarry east of Sherkston). Bunch of platforms and a max depth of <30'. Not the zoo that Sherkston is (was - been a long time since i was there).

As said above, its going to take a bit to settle things down as we got hit pretty hard yesterday. Vis will be awful.

Last edited:
There is also diving north of Toronto; e.g. Lake Simcoe, Bala. Or are you just looking west and south ?

Thanks for the replies so far. We are in London, so we are looking for something west of Toronto.

We decided to try Welland yesterday. Checked out the sunken cars, the Fathom Five boat, the "submarine," and the swing bridge. The viz was generally about 5 feet, less in some spots, and more around the pilings in the middle of the swing bridge. So a good dive overall. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom