Easy Deco Wreck Dive Tomorrow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mempilot

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone interested in getting in on a light deco wreck dive tomorrow? There are a few of us diving the Deep Freeze (135') off the H2O Diver out of N. Miami. You can dive it NDL if you'd like. Here are the specifics:

Dive Site:
Deep Freeze (shore freighter)
135' Max Depth
Single deco dive w/ 1 hour run time max or 2 shorter NDL dives

Charter:
H2O Scuba, Sunny Isle
Check-in @ 11:15 am
Departs @ 12:00 noon

Price:
Should be in the $50 to $60 range based on their normal fees.

A couple of us are diving Nitrox, one is diving Trimix, and one is diving Air. We have plenty of room for more divers. You need not dive it as a decompression dive. The Deep Freeze is an easy AOW dive with easy penetration if desired. We usually see some grouper and the occasional Goliath on the wreck. I've even run into the biggest Lagerhead I've ever seen with have a fin missing from an encouter with teeth. There is also the occasional bull shark lurking around. Currents are usually mild to moderate.

PM me if you have any questions.

Eric

Just curious - what Nitrox mix do you use for that depth? Do you use a stage bottle?

Sounds like a fun dive, just a bit beyond my capabilities at this point.

Good luck,
Grier

132' w/ ean28, 1.4 PO2, 35m BT, 21m Deco w/ ean28 and 100% O2 and 1.62 PO2, CNS% 52, 82.76 OTU's
60' 1m
50' 1m
40' 3m
30' 5m
20' 11m O2

The dive was great. Perfect conditions. 5' bull was on the wreck until we hit 100'. He was eating something when I saw him, then he swam off. A bunch of jacks were going crazy looking for scraps. Vis was about 60' with a 1 kt current. Free ascent drift deco on lift bags. Two dive buddies were excellent. Couldn't ask for better partners. Thanks Scott and Pat. A beautiful day for diving in SE FL.

mempilot:
132' w/ ean28, 1.4 PO2, 35m BT, 21m Deco w/ ean28 and 100% O2 and 1.62 PO2, CNS% 52, 82.76 OTU's
60' 1m
50' 1m
40' 3m
30' 5m
20' 11m O2

Thanks for the info. I've never done deco diving, and I had calculated 28% as best mix for the depth, but I didn't know where to go from there.

I think I need to take a class!

GrierHPharmD:
Thanks for the info. I've never done deco diving, and I had calculated 28% as best mix for the depth, but I didn't know where to go from there.

I think I need to take a class!
Defineatly take a class if you decide to do decompression diving. There's no voodoo to it, but you need to have a full understanding of the physics and effects to determine if it's right for you. We often do dives at depths that can be done as NDL or Deco. It's a great way for you to see whats involved. Yesterday was an example of this type of dive. You would have been able to get about 12 minutes of bottom time. Deco just let us double that with an acceptable deco penalty. We took our time and saw the whole wreck at a slow pace.

mempilot:
Defineatly take a class if you decide to do decompression diving. There's no voodoo to it, but you need to have a full understanding of the physics and effects to determine if it's right for you. We often do dives at depths that can be done as NDL or Deco. It's a great way for you to see whats involved. Yesterday was an example of this type of dive. You would have been able to get about 12 minutes of bottom time. Deco just let us double that with an acceptable deco penalty. We took our time and saw the whole wreck at a slow pace.

I'm somewhat surprised you're decoing out from a 28% EAN dive with O2, especially from only that depth. But, sounded like a nice dive.

MD

MechDiver:
I'm somewhat surprised you're decoing out from a 28% EAN dive with O2, especially from only that depth. But, sounded like a nice dive.

Why? Explain pls. It still accelerate your deco so why not? I would have used 80 but that makes little difference.

And yes I heard it was a nice dive and I'm bummed I couldn't go. We have such awesome conditions down here right now, blue water, most of the time light current and flat seas, and 85 and above in water temp down to 130+ft.
--A

fldivenut:
Why? Explain pls. It still accelerate your deco so why not? I would have used 80 but that makes little difference.

--A

Most folks making a dive to that depth on EAN would probably not have O2 training.
O2 costs more, is more hassle (somewhat as it has to be boosted) and potentially more dangerous for a non mix dive. See first point.
I don't have VPlanner handy, but I think I would see little difference between 50% (I don't use 80) and O2 for that length of dive.

No big deal.

MechDiver:
Most folks making a dive to that depth on EAN would probably not have O2 training.
O2 costs more, is more hassle (somewhat as it has to be boosted) and potentially more dangerous for a non mix dive. See first point.
I don't have VPlanner handy, but I think I would see little difference between 50% (I don't use 80) and O2 for that length of dive.

No big deal.

Thanks. It's 6 min difference between O2 and 50%, of which 3 min you could gain back by using 30 as backgas, I see your point. (80 and O2 is basicly the same, different schedule but same run time)
--A

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom