East Timor: Mama and baby dugong

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

calypsonick

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Bad photo but rare sight

05-05-14dr002.jpg

Very, very nice shot.

Cool. How skittish were they? I heard that they are incredibly shy and pretty much impossible to approach close enough for a decent pictures.

Great capture!

ssra30:
Cool. How skittish were they? I heard that they are incredibly shy and pretty much impossible to approach close enough for a decent pictures.

Dugongs are pretty shy with the exception of one reported sighting here where the individual came up three times to a group of divers in a playful manner.

This last sighting was first from shore. My wife and I were gearing up for our dive, talking to two local spear fishermen about, believe it or not, dugongs. I was confirming with them that they do not hunt dugongs here because they are considered sacred, when my wife shouted "dugong". My wife has this uncanny ability to spot surfacing marine mammals at no matter what distance.

The dugongs in this case were only about 80m from shore in 3m deep water. We waited for them to surface another time and saw that it was a parent and a baby. I knew that if we tried to SCUBA towards them we would never find them because the surf has kicked up a bit and viz was not so good. So, I grabbed only my camera and snorkel gear and ran down the beach a ways in the direction they seemed to be travelling. I asked my wife to point to where she sees them surface next to help me triangulate their position. With that, I swam towards their last surface area and bingo there they were, swimming under me. There were three, one very large adult and the mama and baby. It was about when I got that first picture, that they noticed me and zoomed off with lightning speed. I tried to follow but no way!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom